[GWSG] If we stopped; agency plans; better cement; Tories and anarchists; Arctic melt; pv antennae; new focus; beyond our sight

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:34:26 EDT 2010

1.  If we were to build no new carbon-emitters, coal plants or automotive, but used the existing ones to the end of their useful lives, what would it mean for the climate?  430 ppm of CO2 and a temperature rise of less than 1.3° C from the pre-industrial levels.  Time is wasting, but not yet utterly wasted, according to this Science article.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100909141521.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

2.  US Federal agencies, responding to an executive order, have released plans to cut greenhouse gas emissions.  Plans include infrastructure improvements, new renewable energy installations, improved maintenance, and policy changes regarding such matters as travel.  The 2020 goal is to cut direct emissions 28% and indirect emissions by 13%.  http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/09/10/10greenwire-federal-agencies-outline-plans-for-curbing-fos-97850.html?partner=rss&emc=rss  Some further details:  http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2010/09/12/federal_agencies_launch_bid_to_reduce_carbon_footprint/

3.  An Atlanta start-up plans to manufacture cement using a new process which cuts CO2 emissions by 30%.  Cement manufacture is responsible for about 5% of world carbon emissions.  Some of that is reabsorbed as the cement ages and carbonates.    http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/09/13/story1.html?b=1284350400%5E3919751

4.  England’s Tories are taking the position that we must adapt to inevitable climate change, and they are not engaging the climate change deniers or pressing for adequate mitigation measures (which would involve government regulation of the market and international cooperation).  The stance mirrors that of market conservatives and libertarians in the US.  http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/britain-must-adapt-to-inevitable-climate-change-warns-minister-2077175.html  (The article twice omits the highest acceptable temperature rise.  I suspect it is 2° C over preindustrial levels.)

5.   The last 4 years have seen the greatest Arctic melting since measurements began.  We are moving toward an ice-free summer Arctic in the next few years. http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Arctic%20continuing%20down%20death%20spiral/3509174/story.html

6.    An antenna constructed of carbon nanotubes can concentrate sunlight by a factor of 100, drastically cutting the footprint and (perhaps) the cost of photovoltaic panels.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100912151548.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29  If the antennae could be elevated above ambient shading, and were either retractable or storm-proof, the number of homes and businesses which could use solar power would be raised considerably.  The orientation of the structure would no longer matter.  If the antennae were to track the sun the power curve might be enhanced.  Surely someone is already plotting the manufacture.

7.  Clean Energy Works, a coalition of over 80 groups, is shifting its activities from attempting to influence congress to supporting the EPA and to challenging directly the political power of major greenhouse gas emitters.  http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/09/13/13greenwire-coalition-plans-campaign-to-protect-epa-climate-4260.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

8.  While 26 nations have made plans for the geological burial of high level nuclear waste, the Finns are farthest along.  They will make their first deposit 400 meters below the ground at Onkalo in 2020.  The decision will continue to have implications thousands of generations into the future, further than our vision actually reaches.  In this the Finnish project is much like the decision to build any new emitter of greenhouse gasses.  Or to continue to depend on the ones we already have.     http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/richardblack/2010/09/nulear_waste_goes_the_hole_way.html