[GWSG] Correction on the Arctic melt study

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Dec 1 13:33:27 EST 2011

My blurb on the Nature article concerning melting permafrost passed on a misunderstanding.  Joe Romm corrected me by quoting the article:

"We calculate that permafrost thaw will release the same order of magnitude of carbon as deforestation if current rates of deforestation continue. But because these emissions include significant quantities of methane, the overall effect on climate could be 2.5 times larger."  That is, the warming will not be 2.5 greater in a general sense, as I stated.

Joe Romm's article provides much more light:

  http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/12/01/379675/nature-climate-experts-thawing-permafrost-warming-of-deforestation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climateprogress%2FlCrX+%28Climate+Progress%29

Allen