[GWSG] 80% clean; Chu chat; more clean; wind stats; CH4 unclean; cc & health talk; English adapt. plans

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:03:29 EST 2011

1.  The President’s announcement in his State of the Union address of a goal of 80% clean energy by 2035 drew little comment in the press (so far), but it is in scale with the problem and thus represents the most serious approach to the issue by our national government.  His speech indicated an intention to support electric vehicles as a way to cut emissions from transportation.    http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2011/2011-01-25-03.html

2.  The day after the President’s address Secretary of Energy Chu gave a one hour town hall meeting.  Among other matters, he said that we are approaching a world in which solar energy is cheaper than that from fossil fuels.  He makes it clear that we are developing ways to stretch our nuclear capacity and to use carbon capture with natural gas for peaking power, and that our destination is safe, clean, climate friendly, affordable energy.  Further chats are planned.  The Secretary observed that we already derive 40% of our power from clean sources as described in the President’s program.  https://blog.energy.gov/blog/2011/01/26/missed-todays-town-hall-sec-chu

3.  Clean energy initiatives in developing countries are generating significant effects on greenhouse gas emissions.  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=diplomacys-meltdown

4.  European power production from offshore wind increased 51% last year, and is projected to increase by at least that amount this year.  Thanks to Brian Paradise for the news. http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/european-offshore-wind-power-market-increases-51/  New US wind installations fell by half last year, though 2011 looks better.  http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2011/01/as-expected-u-s-wind-installations-down-50-in-2010?cmpid=WNL-Wednesday-January26-2011  France is building 3000 megawatts of new offshore wind for a total capacity of 10,000 megawatts.  It plans to have 25,000 megawatts by 2020.  England plans to have 32,000 megawatts by 2020, enough to supply a quarter of its energy needs.  http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70N2IC20110125  Chinese wind power production grew 62% last year to 41,800 megawatts and surpassed the US.  China’s wind power production has for the moment outstripped the capacity of its grid to distribute the power.  China dominates wind turbine production.  http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Resource-Wars/2011/01/13/China-first-in-wind-power-capacity/UPI-24791294946635/  Wind power production in Central America was up 121% last year.  http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2011/01/central-americas-wind-generation-grows-120??cmpid=WNL-Friday-January28-2011

5.  The EPA has found that methane released during drilling for natural gas accounts for at least a fifth of the methane added to the atmosphere, and has doubled its emissions estimate for natural gas.  The CEO of Duke Energy doubts the utility of natural gas as a bridge technology.     http://www.propublica.org/article/natural-gas-and-coal-pollution-gap-in-doubt

6.    Two who shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the IPCC will be in Jacksonville Feb. 23 to speak on “Climate Change and Human Health,” 5:30-7:30 at the UNF University Center.  The event is free but seating is limited, so preregister.   I’ve attached the flyer, courtesy of Todd Sack.

7.  England has made public the first batch of climate adaptation plans submitted to the environment ministry.  They include transportation changes and attempts to protect wildlife.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12302555