[GWSG] 6th extinction; stomatic choke; ice melt; roofs & rain; lucky mussels; clean money; EU & China, US out; S. Africa cc ed.

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Mar 11 08:28:08 EST 2011

1.  An article in Nature reports indications that a sixth great extinction is in process, with ¾ of animal species (and others) likely to disappear unless we take effective action.  http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/03/are-we-in-the-middle-of-a-sixth-.html?etoc

2.  As CO2 increases, plants constrict their stomata and transpiration of moisture to the atmosphere diminishes.  Further increases in CO2 could halve the return of moisture by land plants.  http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/11030461-rising-co2-is-causing-plants-release-less-water-the-atmosphere-researchers-say.html  As evaporation from water surfaces increases with temperature, the overall effect of increased temperature on precipitation is not clear to me, though I guess that evaporation would trump the narrowed stomata.  Perhaps one of the list members has some information.  A second question: what difference would it make to precipitation patterns if relatively more moisture came from oceans and less from land?  http://news.discovery.com/earth/plants-retaining-water-as-carbon-dioxide-rises-110307.html

3.  Contributions to sea level rise from the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets are accelerating more rapidly than expected.  The study concerns melt and is said not to address ice sheet disintegration.    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110308150228.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

4.  A Texas study found metal, concrete, and cool roofs most suitable for rainwater collection.  (Cool roofs have been coated with some reflective material, usually white paint.)  http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/11030831-rainwater-harvest-study-finds-roofing-material-affects-water-quality.html

5.  By placing ocean life forms in increasingly acidic water we are learning that the reactions vary.  Mussels, for example, seem to be able to manage carbon usage, at least when they are well fed; many other organisms are more vulnerable.  More work needs to be done, particularly with sets of stressors such as varying temperature and pollution levels acting in concert with growing acidity.  http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110307/full/471154a.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20110310

6.  New investments in clean energy worldwide rose 30% from 2009 to 2010, reaching $243 billion.  Investments have increased five-fold in the last six years.  http://bnef.com/PressReleases/view/141

7.  The European Union and China are moving ahead with plans to control greenhouse gas emissions.  The EU names its partners as China, Brazil, and Korea; the US is no longer at the table.  Offstage, Rep. Michele Bachmann can be heard calling for a return to incandescent light bulbs with her Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act, and Governor Rick Scott can be seen dismantling planning and regulation in Florida.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/richardblack/2011/03/china_and_the_european_union.html

8.   South Africa is undertaking an energetic program to educate its people on climate change. http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Huge-climate-change-programme-launched-20110309