[GWSG] Biochar vs. pee; sm. pv for UK; CO2 x vs. P; anti-nuke; pebble bed nuke; talk risk; REDD+; H20 trouble; H20 cure; vacation

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Mar 25 11:02:43 EDT 2011

1.  Biochar not only sequesters carbon, it can reduce by 70% nitrous oxide emissions from places where cows urinate on the grass.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110318102245.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

2.  Britain is cutting its subsidies for large (over 50 kilowatt) solar installations by up to 70% in favor of supporting less centralized energy production with smaller projects.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12790613  One benefit of distributed solar production is resilience.  Even an electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear blast would have less wide effect (as I learned by listening to ex-CIA Director James Woolsey).  We would also reduce our need for new power grids.

3.  An opinion piece from the Sacramento Bee observes that CO2 and plutonium need not be accepted as alternatives.  http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/20/3487158/viewpoints-japan-crisis-reminds.html

4.  German Chancellor Angela Merkel views nuclear energy as a transitory technology, and recommends exiting it for renewable energy as soon as possible.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110323/bs_afp/germanyenergynuclear  A majority of Americans now oppose expanding nuclear power.  73% oppose the current federal supports for nuclear power, and wish to see them shifted to renewable energy.  The same group is hostile to the idea that nuclear power companies ought to be able to evade the costs of accidents by passing them on to the rest of us (as they currently do), and half would like to see older plants retired.   http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20110322/ts_csm/371668

5.  The Chinese are proceeding with pebble bed reactors, which produce less dangerous waste and are designed not to melt down under coolant loss.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/energy-environment/25chinanuke.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha25&pagewanted=all

6.  Analysis of a survey of British flood victims indicates that experience of a likely effect of global warming can lead to behavior changes if the person believes that their actions can be effective.  The study suggests public education on climate from a risk management approach, rather than from the perspective of adjusting to a predictable future.  http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1070.html

7.  The REDD program to prevent deforestation began with an agreement among 10 countries in 2005.  In 2009 at the Copenhagen conference it became REDD+, with 100 nations signed on.  But no general agreement has emerged on monitoring or control mechanisms.  The best chance for such agreement may lie outside the UN.  http://news.mongabay.com/2011/0323-niles_redd_interview.html

8.  We are using an unsustainable quantity of water.  We need to find ways to gather, store, and use it more efficiently.  (The climate connection is through the alteration of precipitation patterns now in progress.)  http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=54957

9.  Cutting CO2 concentrations would immediately alleviate drought. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110324153504.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

This newslist will be on vacation for a week or so.