[GWSG] Forced denial; S FL reacts; no ice age; CO2, not CH4; SACE blog; more efficiency; EPA map; acid Sound

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jan 12 08:38:05 EST 2012

1.  George Monbiot quotes another writer’s observation that libertarians must deny climate change because it leads them to a contradiction in their primary aim, which is to any avoid any infringement on private property.  Climate change damages the property of unconsenting people, but to correct it means regulating resources, including private property.  Therefore libertarians must deny climate change or give up their (childish) ideology.   http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jan/06/why-libertarians-must-deny-climage-change

2.  As I reported on Dec. 16 the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact of four counties has released a draft climate action plan with 100 action items.  I would like to give further detail to indicate the challenges posed to libertarians by climate change.  The recommendations include relocating wells inland, raising roadbeds, and controlling development and infrastructure improvements in threatened areas.  Public money (deriving from taxes on private property) will necessarily be involved as will limitations on what private individuals may build where, and even what private property may be improved and what may not.  Following a 60 day comment period the Compact will construct an implementation matrix and deliver the plan to the four county governments for action.  http://www.southeastfloridaclimatecompact.org/index_files/Page648.htm  Cities in South Florida are reacting to the threats posed by climate change.  (A few years ago some Florida state employees told me that they were forbidden to talk about sea level rise.  We’re improving.)  http://www.eenews.net/public/climatewire/2012/01/10/1

3.  Current CO2 emissions ensure that any ice age will be deferred.  In itself that’s good, but we are overdoing the warming.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16439807

4.  A piece condensed from RealClimate maintains that CO2, and not Arctic methane, is where our concern properly belongs.  http://wwwp.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/2012/01/opinion-methane-release

5.  Tom Larson shares word of a blog from the Southern Association for Clean Energy.  The current entry is on the impact of sea level rise on the East Coast.  http://blog.cleanenergy.org/2012/01/10/letter-to-coastal-citizens/

6.  Through energy efficiency improvements the US saved enough energy to power almost 10 million homes, a 21% increase over the previous year.  We may well have done even better in 2011.  http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2012/01/us-beats-expectations-saving-energy?cmpid=WNL-Wednesday-January11-2012

7.   The EPA has released an interactive map with data for large emitters of greenhouse gasses in 2010.  http://epa.gov/climatechange/emissions/ghgdata/  Power plants released 70% of the reported greenhouse gasses.  The newly public data will form the base for regulation of greenhouse gasses due May 26 but expected as early as next month.  http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2012/01/11/epa_power_plants_main_global_warming_culprits/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news   The NRDC has indexed emissions by utility.  http://www.nrdc.org/air/pollution/benchmarking/default.asp

8.  The State of Washington has declared Puget Sound a “water of concern” because of acidification due to climate change.  http://summitcountyvoice.com/2012/01/11/global-warming-puget-sound-faces-acidification-threat/