[GWSG] Sandy; food emissions; warning signs; Confino's formula; Rising Currents; LivingHomes

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Nov 5 11:25:31 EST 2012

1.  Hurricane Sandy and other costly weather disasters ought to remind congress to attend to climate issues.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-climate-idUSBRE89U0EM20121031?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2Fenvironment+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Environment%29  Many news sources are now linking the storm to climate change.  Mayor Bloomberg’s endorsement of President Obama highlighted his willingness to engage climate change, and Governor Cuomo has also announced that it is time to plan for a changed and changing world.  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/bloomberg-endorses-obama-saying-hurricane-sandy-affected-decision.html?_r=0  Hurricane Sandy is one of a series of events which are leading us toward the political will necessary for climate action. http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/49643488/

2.  Food production, storage, and delivery accounts for up to a third of our greenhouse gas emissions and supplies some challenging problems in emissions mitigation.  http://www.nature.com/news/one-third-of-our-greenhouse-gas-emissions-come-from-agriculture-1.11708  We may be in for more black-eyed peas and yams, and less meat.  http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/food-switch-could-offset-climate-threat-to-staples-study

3.  A past leader of Greenpeace warned the World Business Council for Sustainable Development of a carbon bubble which would devalue holdings in fossil fuels as part of a transition to renewable energy.  http://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/carbon-bubble-looms-for-fossil-fuel-industry-gilding-20121031-28jb7.html  PricewaterhouseCoopers, the world’s largest professional services firm, warns that we should expect a much changed environment and a dislocating transition to renewable energy.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/blog/pwc-climate-change-reduction-business-investments

4.  The Guardian’s Joe Confino has a formula for dealing with news on climate: face unflinchingly the best we can know as preparation for doing something to construct a world we can look forward to.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/climate-change-closer-home-confront-truth

5.  The 2010 MOMA exhibit “Rising Currents” presents a vision of New York as a more stably based Venice.  All three videos in this ABC story are worth watching.  The exhibit is being brought up to date.   http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/11/new-york-can-be-a-vibrant-venice-as-sea-level-now-rises-say-engineers/

6.  LivingHomes is producing small prefab LEED Platinum homes which sell for about $145 per square foot.  http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/11/04/sustainable-homes?cmpid=tp-ad-outbrain-general  The LivingHomes site:  http://www.livinghomes.net/primer.html