[GWSG] Brilliant turbines; endangered birds; speleothems trace C; Goodbye, Miami; goodbye, world; Obama's plan

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Jun 21 09:02:35 EDT 2013

1.  GE’s new “brilliant” 2.5 megawatt wind turbine stores energy and analyzes grid conditions, releasing energy as it is needed.  Solar panels with similar storage arrangements are in development at the U of WI.  http://grist.org/news/batteries-included-new-wind-turbines-and-solar-panels-come-with-built-in-storage/?utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&sub_email=atilley%40unf.edu

2.  By disrupting their supports, climate change endangers migratory birds.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/biologists-worried-by-migratory-birds-starvation-seen-as-tied-to-climate-change/2013/06/19/c04d8a74-d90d-11e2-a9f2-42ee3912ae0e_story.html  Birdlife International estimates that one in eight bird species is now facing extinction.  http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/2554/20130620/one-eight-bird-species-faces-extinction.htm

3.  Evidence from mineral formations in caves indicates that continuous permafrost begins major releases of carbon with about 1.5° C of warming above pre-industrial levels.    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iX-IRr34ISNhFyqOb94GiLQFWAfw

4.  Rolling Stone helps us envision the dissolution of South Florida with a hurricane in 2030 in “Goodbye, Miami.”  It’s a fairly detailed depiction of the situation in South Florida, and an informed picture of Florida generally as we face the near future.  Thanks to Tom Larson for the link.  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

5.   The president of the World Bank warns that climate disruption will have drastically changed our world by 2030.  http://www.trust.org/item/20130619113907-3nmrs/?source=hptop   It is significant that 2030 is emerging as a focus for climate disruption effect projections.  If we are to have a chance to avoid a positive feedback from permafrost carbon, we must begin effective action soon (that should probably be immediately).  The 2030 focus adds torque, and so does the NASA announcement on the release of Arctic carbon (on the last newslist).

6.  President Obama is expected to announce his climate plan next week.  His plans could hardly be more significant for the future of the planet. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/science/earth/obama-preparing-big-effort-to-curb-climate-change.html?_r=0