[GWSG] FPL grid; acid Arctic; Keeling Lecture; cc in Everglades; 154 comebacks; temp & turtles; Bangladesh's water; G'land melt; iron & O

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu May 9 08:10:21 EDT 2013

1.  Florida Power and Light has deployed the first smart grid.  It interacts with individual users to anticipate power supply problems and to handle load fluctuations—say, from rooftop solar units.  http://www.technologyreview.com/news/514461/with-florida-project-the-smart-grid-has-arrived/?utm_campaign=newsletters&utm_source=newsletter-weekly-energy&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20130506

2.  The Arctic Ocean is acidifying more rapidly than other areas for an array of reasons.  It is now 30% more acidic than in pre-industrial times, and “continued rapid change is a certainty.”  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22408341

3.  Scripps Distinguished Professor Emeritus Richard Somerville in his Keeling Lecture says why we must begin to reverse greenhouse gas emissions within the next decade.  I have not seen a more solid presentation of the science of climate change in such an available way in a one hour lecture.  A great thing to recommend to those who ask for the general picture.  http://uctv.tv/shows/The-Scientific-Case-for-Urgent-Action-to-Limit-Climate-Change-4th-Annual-Keeling-Lecture-24910

4.  The Everglades restoration project is taking climate change into account.  Deirdre Irwin sends the item.  http://wlrn.org/post/why-everglades-restoration-really-needs-be-about-adapting-climate-change

5.  Skeptical Science provides one sentence and one paragraph responses to 154 common climate errors, many of them stemming from disinformation campaigns.  (I was surprised to see how many I recognized from my experience with audiences.)  http://www.skepticalscience.com/oneliners.php

6.  As the heat rises, the proportion of female painted turtle hatchlings rises.  At 1.1° C rise, they are all female.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/sex-of-turtles-changing-female-climate-change_n_3224368.html?utm_hp_ref=green

7.  The salinity of drinking water in Bangladesh’s coastal areas has increased to the point that much of it is undrinkable.  The situation is expected to worsen this summer under pressures of drought and increasing salinity.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2013/may/07/safe-drinking-water-disappearing-bangladesh

8.  A study in Nature finds that melt from Greenland’s outlet glaciers will probably not accelerate further.  http://www.climatecentral.org/news/greenlands-ice-loss-slows-but-still-wont-save-coasts-15962?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climatecentral%2FdjOO+Climate+Central+-+Full+Feed

9.  A process developed to produce oxygen on the moon from iron oxide can be used to produce steel without CO2 emissions.  The steel is cheaper and stronger than that made by the normal process.   The only byproduct is oxygen. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130508133124.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fearth_climate+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Earth+%26+Climate+News%29