[GWSG] Nukes urged; UN plan; using rain; adapting; Haiyan; Amazonian resonance; slr in Florida

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Nov 9 10:08:13 EST 2013

1.  Four of the leading climate scientists have signed an open letter asking that we not dismiss newer nuclear technologies.  They consider that renewables cannot be scaled in time to take effective action.    Negative reaction to the letter has pointed to Fukushima and other disasters of currently deployed nuclear technology.  http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/03/world/nuclear-energy-climate-change-scientists-letter/index.html   My understanding is that we must take decisive action as soon as may be.  Could nuclear power be brought on line quickly?  If emergency manufacturing programs were to be implemented, would it not be faster, safer, and cheaper to deploy renewable power?  Nuclear power is inherently steadier, but rolling brownouts and scheduled and unscheduled blackouts are far preferable to the climatic alternatives until grid, storage, and production problems are worked out no matter what technologies we use.  I am impatient with assumptions that we must continue current power usage trends.  Electricity is a convenience but we depend on a livable climate.

2.  The UN Environment Program’s Gap Report describes how we might yet keep warming below 2° C by achieving peak emissions in 2020 and a vigorous rate of decline after that.  The report comes as leaders prepare for a UN climate summit in Poland.  Current mitigation programs would need to be strengthened.    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/05/carbon-emissions-must-be-cut-significantly-by-2020-says-un-report

3.   Around 80% of a typical commercial building’s water goes to non-potable uses—flushing toilets, irrigating landscapes, and cooling.  That 80% could and increasingly does come from rainwater harvesting.  (Water supply is often a problem in planning adaptation to climate disruption.)  http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/rainwater-harvesting-texas-proposition-6

4.  A study of four poorer regions finds that they are often unsuccessful in adapting to such current climate pressures as drought and calls for preparatory planning as well as material support.  http://www.irinnews.org/report/99081/new-climate-change-findings-up-pressure-on-warsaw-talks

5.  Super Typhoon Haiyan which hit the Philippines was abetted by unusually warm water and warm, moist air.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-henn/super-typhoon-haiyan-is-a_b_4239206.html

6.  Deforestation in the Amazon reduces precipitation in the Sierra Nevada and the Pacific Northwest, among other effects.  http://news.mongabay.com/2013/1108-amazon-deforestation-california.html

7.  The four county Southeast Florida Climate Compact met recently while king tides topped sea walls and covered roads in Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  http://blog.ucsusa.org/florida-sea-level-rise-a-states-race-against-the-sea-294   The board of the Northeast Florida Regional Council unanimously approved a sea level rise action plan which will establish a central information source for the area as part of a program to promote regional planning.  Several list members participated in developing the project, led by Margo Moehring.