[GWSG] FR C tax; Indian megasolar; MA ppa; adapting species; heating sea; Ecotricity; IPCC AR5 summary; impolite film

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Sep 27 08:37:03 EDT 2013

1.  France is set to introduce a carbon tax beginning next year which will result in significant revenues for development of renewable energy and a 30% cut in fossil fuel use by 2030.  It is not clear whether the tax will be imposed on imports as well as domestically.  A new tax on nuclear power will help move toward a 1/3 reduction to 50% dependency by 2025.  http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2296139/french-carbon-tax-to-raise-eur4bn-for-green-energy-by-2016

2.  India is beginning a 4,000 megawatt solar project, the world’s largest.  http://www.smetimes.in/smetimes/news/indian-economy-news/2013/Sep/23/world-s-largest-solar-power-plant-to-come-up-in-rajasthan.html

3.  Massachusetts has signed a power purchase agreement for 565 megawatts of wind power.  At $.08/kilowatt hour wind edged out coal, nuclear, hydro, and solar power.  http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2013/09/massachusetts-utilities-pool-for-cheaper-wind-energy-supply?cmpid=WNL-Wednesday-September25-2013

4.  Some biologists propose that we consider “facilitated adaptation”—through hybridization or genetic engineering—to help species survive climate change.  15-40% of species will be effectively extinct by 2050.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/26/biologists-genetic-modification-endangered-species

5.  The Greenland Sea is warming at 10 times the global average.  http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4159/20130925/warming-greenland-sea-outpaces-global-ocean.htm

6.  Britain’s Ecotricity is offering green power at below the standard utility cost.  And take a look at the falling cooling towers video.  Thanks to Brian Paradise for the link.  http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/green-electricity-now-undercuts-major-utilities-britain.html

7.  The IPCC has released the Summary of the APR 5.  The Guardian supplies a recap of the significant numbers. .. .  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2013/sep/27/ipcc-report-climate-change-numbers  and reactions to the report as a call to action, along with other information and reflections.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/27/ipcc-climate-report-un-secretary-general   My reaction: the consensus process and a remote cutoff point for data have again yielded a lowest common denominator on such matters as sea level rise projections.  We will again be treated to a series of “it’s worse than we thought” reports, when in fact the most informed sources are already in disagreement with the IPCC report on at least some matters.  I don’t see an area in which current informed opinion is more favorable than represented in the report.  Again, the report will be useful as an authoritative representation of the most cautious informed view, somewhat out of date.

8.  The film Greedy Lying Bastards portrays the propagandists working to stall or prevent action on climate disruption.  http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/26/greedy-lying-bastards-review