[GWSG] Feds help adapt; land use; x-XL; bikes; coastal non-program; acidification timeline

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Nov 19 06:27:05 EST 2014

1.   The Obama administration has reacted to recommendations of a task force of local governmental leaders by implementing a package of measures to aid efforts to deal with climate disruption.  They range from tools for vulnerability studies to incorporation of climate projections in transportation and other federal planning.  The measures reorient existing funding.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/17/us-usa-climatechange-adaptation-idUSKCN0J110X20141117?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews

2.  Deforestation is not the only factor in carbon emissions from land use change.  We should also be watching other kinds of habitats newly put to agricultural use.  http://news.mongabay.com/2014/1117-hance-deforestation-landusechange.html#sthash.Hffi0kML.dpbs

3.  Lakota tribal leaders have declared that the House vote to build the XL pipeline is an act of war.  They will close borders of the Rosebud Sioux Reservation to any attempt to build it.   The Lakotas and the other members of the Great Sioux Nation voted in February to oppose the pipeline. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/16/rosebud-sioux-keystone-war_n_6168584.html    The Lakota President: “I pledge my life to stop these people from harming our children and our grandchildren and our way of life and our culture and our religion here.”  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/nov/17/sioux-tribe-keystone-xl-pipeline-south-dakota-act-of-war  A loose alliance of cowboys and Indians has formed to oppose the pipeline.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/nov/17/keystone-xl-pipeline-opposition-cowboys-indians-alliance-oil  The pipeline failed by one vote to avoid a Democratic Senate filibuster but promises to return for a vote next year in the new Republican senate.  http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/18/keystone-xl-pipeline-senate

4.  The Denny bicycle looks good enough to include in fantasy plans for future cities (if you too indulge in that).  http://vimeo.com/101360481  And here is a bicycle you probably don’t want to include.  http://climatecrocks.com/2014/11/18/not-yet-street-legal-rocket-assist-bicycle-breaks-200-mph/  You might want to drive your Denny on a solar bike path (and thanks to David Reed for the suggestion). http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2014/11/netherlands-installs-worlds-first-solar-bike-path?cmpid=WNL-Wednesday-November19-2014

5.  Some coastal homes subject to repetitive loss from flooding are eligible for assistance in either elevating or selling the property.  A survey of five Virginia jurisdictions finds that serving the existing waiting list in just those regions through current programs would take centuries and cost $430 million.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/18/the-huge-hidden-cost-of-protecting-homeowners-from-the-rising-sea/  It is difficult to imagine an effective program to protect coastal property owners from financial loss as the seas rise.

6.  A new synthesis of data makes it possible to track regional variations in ocean acidification since 1800 and project it to 2100.  http://www.climatecentral.org/news/ocean-acidification-new-baseline-18351?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climatecentral%2FdjOO+Climate+Central+-+Full+Feed