[GWSG] 2016 hopes; false baseline; fast warming lakes; fast warming Russia; fast warming Arctic

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Dec 29 18:34:05 EST 2015

1.  Climate scientists share their reasons for hope and their wishes as 2016 approaches.  The Paris agreement and the gathering consensus for action is the greatest reason for hope.  http://www.climatecentral.org/news/scientists-climate-hope-19838?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climatecentral%2FdjOO+Climate+Central+-+Full+Feed

2.  Michael Mann observes that because we have used a baseline 1875 condition which is already well within the industrial revolution, we are farther along in warming than usually perceived, but that vigorous action can still keep us from a high likelihood of danger.  http://ecowatch.com/2015/12/24/dangerous-planetary-warming/

3.  A broad study of lake temperatures found they are warming faster than the atmosphere or the oceans, with implications for methane release, algal growth, and ecology.  http://news.sciencemag.org/climate/2015/12/earth-s-lakes-are-warming-faster-its-air

4.  Russia has been warming 2.5 times as fast as the global average and is beginning to experience the effects as permafrost melts, water sources are depleted, and forests become more vulnerable to fire.  http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/167783/russia-most-hit-by-climate-change

5.  A storm in the North Atlantic could raise temperatures in the Arctic by 50 degrees above normal.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/28/freak-storm-in-north-atlantic-may-push-temperatures-70-degrees-above-normal-at-north-pole/?   This video from last spring uses alarmist clips from The Day After Tomorrow to explain how warming of the Arctic can influence the oceanic conveyor belt.   http://climatecrocks.com/2015/12/29/2015-review-nasty-surprise-in-the-greenhouse/   I am putting this out prematurely because I wanted our list members to be alert to the news from the Arctic in the next few days.  We could be up for a trauma to the conveyor belt, with consequences.  I will follow this closely and forward anything substantive.