[GWSG] Correction on the IEA's C emissions report, and the NYT coverage

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Mar 14 06:42:41 EDT 2015

Correction

In yesterday's newsletter I should have said that according to the International Energy Agency carbon emissions stalled for the first time last year during a period economic growth (about 3% globally in 2014).  In the early 1980s, in 1992, and in 2009 emissions also stalled or fell during economic crises.  The point is that emissions and economic growth were decoupled last year.   http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31872460#  Here's the NY Times on the news.  Fatih Birol, the IEA's chief economist and incoming director:  "The numbers I announced are definitely encouraging, but it doesn't bring us to a happy ending yet," he said. "If you want to see a happy ending, you want to see an agreement in Paris that will send a powerful signal to investors to go in the direction of low-carbon technologies."    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/14/science/emissions-by-makers-of-energy-level-off.html?emc=edit_tnt_20150313&nlid=43628374&tntemail0=y&_r=0