[GWSG] Our response to slr; CEOs strand assets; emissions goals; UN climate talks; 3T trees; rally for the Pope

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Sep 5 07:35:08 EDT 2015

1.  A PLOS blog reviews the recent paper on sea level rise by James Hansen and colleagues, provides useful links to literature on the subject, and concludes that our response to the prospect of near-term rise is limited more by our attitudes and cognitive capacities than by what we are coming to know.  http://phys.org/news/2015-09-eyes-oceansjames-hansen-sea.html

2.  The CEOs of fossil fuel companies are rewarded for finding new reserves of coal, oil, and gas, although we must leave the reserves in the ground.  The corporate reward structure is counter to our necessary transition to renewable sources of energy.  It is also leaving the companies with stranded assets which endanger their economic future.  http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2015/sep/03/fossil-fuel-executive-pay-climate-crisis

3.  An analysis of the national emissions goals submitted to the UN so far shows that they are inadequate to limit warming to 2C, and would put the goal of 1.5C "beyond reach."  http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34135202

We may need to exceed warming limits temporarily as we draw down carbon from the atmosphere to achieve a livable climate, as has been suggested by several analysts.

4.  The task of the UN climate talks in Paris this December is not to solve the climate problem but to move us further toward a solution.  A useful diagram in the linked article indicates what will be necessary to limit warming to 2C and 1.5C.  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/09/04/3697922/un-pledges-2-degrees-report/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cptop3

Preparatory meetings are underway, and part of the task for the Paris meeting is to regularize the schedule of future meetings.  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/09/04/3698347/from-bonn-to-paris-climate-meeting/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cptop3

The Elders have called for leaders to intervene to deal with sensitive issues which have not yet been resolved.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/04/climate-stalemate-prompts-call-for-world-leaders-to-intervene

5.  A census of the world's trees-there are 3 trillion-leads to the estimate that we have lost about half since the coming of civilization 10,000 years ago.  http://www.climatenewsnetwork.net/global-tree-census-highlights-need-to-restore-forests/

6.  Doris Marlin asks if anyone would be interested in attending a rally of faith groups in Washington on Sept. 24 to help amplify Pope Francis's call to climate action.  You can reach Doris at dam17th2009 at yahoo.com<mailto:dam17th2009 at yahoo.com>    http://ncronline.org/blogs/eco-catholic/faith-groups-plan-climate-rally-pope-addresses-congress?