[GWSG] NOAA: 3 m by midcentury; Hansen's views; Peabody bankrupt

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Apr 13 07:19:28 EDT 2016

1.  NOAA's senior advisor for coastal inundation and resilience science and services, addressing the annual RIMS conference of risk managers and insurance professionals, said that recent data from the West Antarctic indicate a sea level rise of about three meters (nine feet and ten inches) by 2050-60.  She said the data had been collected but was not yet official.  http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/04/12/405089.htm

2.  James Hansen has been the primary voice warning us of sea level rise at the rate announced by NOAA.  He recounts his point of view on our situation in an interview with Yale Environment 360.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/12/climate-scientist-james-hansen-i-dont-think-im-an-alarmist

3.  Peabody Energy (A Private Enterprise Member of ALEC), the world's largest coal company, has, as expected, filed for bankruptcy.  http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/04/13/us-coal-major-peabody-files-for-bankruptcy/  In fact, the entire fossil fuel industry is now effectively bankrupt.  We need to stop fighting the old battles and get busy.?