[GWSG] G'land base melting; g.w. and community; Vibrio increasing; SLR accelerating; epic heat wave in Middle East

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Aug 10 10:18:03 EDT 2016

1.  A new NASA study shows that much of the ice at the base of Greenland's ice sheet is thawed, enabling the more solid ice over it to slip readily into the ocean.  http://www.iflscience.com/environment/nasa-mapped-fragmented-underbelly-greenland-ice-sheet/

2.  In his talk Finding Meaning in the Era of Rapid Ecological Change, Stephen Mulkey sketches our ecological situation and proceeds to a set of spiritual axioms which guide his search for meaning "during our long emergency."  Mulkey finds our truest resource in community.  https://environmentalcentury.net/2016/08/07/finding-meaning-in-the-era-of-profound-ecological-change/  In Plots of Time: An Inquiry into History, Myth, and Meaning I argue that the emergence of the other has been the central tendency in the evolution of our consciousness in historical times.  I understand the appeal of Donald Trump as founded in our reactionary alarm at the emergence of the other.  Our general movement is toward an ecologically aware community, though our history is littered with the victims of our destructive resistance to that.  https://smile.amazon.com/Plots-Time-Inquiry-History-Meaning/dp/0813013577/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470659402&sr=1-1&keywords=plots+of+time%3A+an+inquiry+into+history%2C+myth%2C+and+meaning

3.  Several strains of Vibrio bacteria are found in warm coastal waters; the most dangerous is cholera.  With rising sea surface temperatures Vibrio is spreading north and becoming more common.  https://www.carbonbrief.org/warming-atlantic-ocean-leads-to-rise-in-marine-bacteria?utm_source=Daily+Carbon+Briefing&utm_campaign=2feae5ec66-cb_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_876aab4fd7-2feae5ec66-303421297

4.  Since satellite observations of sea level rise began in 1993, the rate of rise has been just over 3 mm/year.  A study by the US National Center for Atmospheric Research shows that when the effects of the eruption of Pinatubo are removed, the rate has actually been accelerating, and predicts that the satellite record will begin recording the acceleration in the coming decade, barring a further eruption.  http://scienmag.com/climate-change-already-accelerating-sea-level-rise-study-finds/

5.  The current heat wave in the Middle East points toward an eventual abandonment of the region.  Water scarcity is another factor.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/an-epic-middle-east-heat-wave-could-be-global-warmings-hellish-curtain-raiser/2016/08/09/c8c717d4-5992-11e6-8b48-0cb344221131_story.html  ?