[GWSG] New panels; old panels; ethical dilemma; water usage cut; Tampa okay; econ threat; Paris account; ice age postponed

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jan 14 06:14:51 EST 2016

1.  Unexpected quantum effects discovered at MIT will increase the efficiency of newly designed solar energy cells.  The cells will be thinner and lighter than current designs, and will utilize layers of dielectrics now used to enhance transistors.  http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2016/01/harvesting-more-energy-from-photons.html

2.  One reason wind and solar power have become competitive with fossil fuels is that patents on basic technology have passed into the public domain.  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/01/11/3737538/intellectual-property-renewable-energy/

3.  A joint essay in the WA Post argues that it would be unethical to carry out an immediate cessation of greenhouse gas emissions because of the disruptions that would cause, and unethical treatment of coming generations to defer an energy transition in order to preserve present profits.  The problem of how vigorously to purse the transition requires an ethical frame.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-theory/wp/2016/01/09/why-climate-change-is-an-ethical-problem/

3.  Icebergs release iron which support plankton growth, accounting for a significant portion of the carbon sequestered by the Southern Ocean.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/11/giant-icebergs-are-slowing-climate-change-research-reveals

4.  The Obama administration plans to cut US water usage by a third through deploying agricultural technology and improving water extraction efficiency.  http://www.wateronline.com/doc/obama-admin-wants-cut-water-use-by-a-third-0001  Water conservation is a major part of the transition to a sustainable culture; a warming climate endangers water resources.  I have just learned from a friend at the St. Johns River Water Management District that my county, Duval, is the only in the state to prohibit collecting water for drinking.  We need to legalize cisterns in Duval County as our wells continue to salinate.  Similar issues need attention in many locales.  Attempts to privatize water supply violate the public trust and need to be countered.

5.  Tampa, FL, is said by city officials to be prepared for moderate sea level rise with respect to drainage, sewers, and water supply.  http://www.wmnf.org/tampa-infrastructure-changes-could-buffer-from-sea-level-rise/

6.  Economists at the World Economic Forum named climate catastrophe the greatest financial risk in the coming year.  The most likely such problem is an increase in climate-driven migration.  http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/14/climate-change-disaster-is-biggest-threat-to-global-economy-in-2016-say-experts

7.  The Rolling Stone provides an eyewitness account of the Paris Agreement and an analysis of its promise and pitfalls.  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/will-the-paris-climate-deal-save-the-world-20160113

8.  We have already emitted enough carbon to delay an ice age for at least 100,000 years, according to an analysis of the ice age tipping point.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/fossil-fuel-burning-postponing-next-ice-age  ?