[GWSG] C & ecosystems; migrations; Peabody's reps; slr interview; first mammal gone; fossil costs to rise; a bumpy transition

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Jun 14 10:27:24 EDT 2016

1.  As the earth warms, greenhouse gasses from biogenic sources are increasing.  Stephen Mulkey calls for ecological research to increase our knowledge of how to manage ecosystems to reduce their emissions and maximize their retention of carbon.  Our opportunity to act may not last more than a few more years as we lose habitats and species to the increasing heat.    https://environmentalcentury.net/2016/06/10/global-management-of-the-biosphere-is-not-optional/

2.  Even 2C of warming could drive populations from Mexico, Africa, India, Central America, and other tropical locales to cooler climates.  http://phys.org/news/2016-06-climate-trigger-tropical-evacuations.html

3.  Peabody Energy (A Private Enterprise Council Member of ALEC, along with other enemies of climate action) proved in the documents they were required to release for their bankruptcy that they take the crown for the breadth of climate denial they funded.  Recipients ranged from ALEC, Americans for Prosperity, and a host of other think tanks, propaganda mills, and bogus academic fronts, to individuals such as Willie Soon, Roy Spencer, and Richard Lindzen.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/13/peabody-energy-coal-mining-climate-change-denial-funding

4.  On June 7 I did an interview for our public radio station, WJCT.  They have cut it to an eighteen minute video.  The topic is sea level rise.  http://news.wjct.org/post/first-coast-connect-threat-sea-level-rising-florida

5.  The Bramble Cay melomys, a rat native to a small island which has begun to flood, is the first mammal known to have gone extinct from climate change.  One out of six species in the world are threatened.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/14/first-case-emerges-of-mammal-species-wiped-out-by-human-induced-climate-change

6.  As the cost of renewable energy falls, fossil fuels will increasingly supply backup power.  The less they are used, the less of their full potential will be used (that is, their capacity factor will fall), and the more expensive they become in cost per unit of energy generated.  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/06/13/3787700/coal-gas-plants-cheap-renewables/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cptop3&utm_term=2&utm_content=52

7.  While renewables are cheap and getting cheaper, existing energy investments and corporate inertia will still make the energy transition bumpy.  "It will take great strategic courage to be a winner in the global energy transition."  http://blogs.worldwatch.org/energy-transition-bumpy-ride/  ?