[GWSG] Hansen et al.; 10x faster C; WMO warning; CO2 & bathtubs; green bonds; Mulkey on plannning

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Mar 22 10:30:33 EDT 2016

1.  James Hansen and eighteen international co-authors have published a paper indicating that continuing high fossil fuel emissions have us on track for rapid, nonlinear sea level rise leading to the multi-meter level, increased super-storms, decreased ocean circulation, and other severe effects of warming within 50-150 years.  http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/3761/2016/acp-16-3761-2016.html  Comment from the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/23/science/global-warming-sea-level-carbon-dioxide-emissions.html?_r=0  The Guardian provides further general statements from Hansen.  https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/22/sea-level-rise-james-hansen-climate-change-scientist  Jim Hansen has prepared a video abstract of the paper.  Fifteen minutes, and well worth your time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-cRqCQRc8&feature=youtu.be

2.  We are adding carbon to the atmosphere ten times as fast as at any time in the past 66 million years.  The disruptions to the ecosystem are expected to be greater than those of the past because the pace of change is increased.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/21/carbon-emission-release-rate-unprecedented-in-past-66m-years

3.  The World Meteorological Organization warns that our climate is changing at an unprecedented rate, and that we must act while we can still exert some control.  http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/21/global-warming-taking-place-at-an-alarming-rate-un-climate-body-warns

4.  Joe Romm explains why CO2 levels are increasing even as our emissions are flat.  (Atmospheric CO2 will not begin to decrease until we cut 80% of our emissions.)  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/03/21/3761903/co2-levels-soar-emissions-flat/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cptop3

5.  Companies issue green bonds to fund projects with a positive environmental impact, such as energy conversion, efficiency, and habitat improvement.  $41.8bn of such bonds were issued last year and much more is expected.  http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/mar/20/apple-green-bond-environment-energy-toyota-climate-change

6.  Stephen Mulkey expands on Katharine Hayhoe's metaphor about planning which assumes status quo for the physical environment: driving forward while looking in the rearview mirror.  http://environmentalcentury.net/2016/03/16/driving-the-car-forward-while-looking-in-the-rear-view-mirror/   In Managing Our Diminished Biosphere Mulkey follows this line of thought as it renders obsolete the old goal of habitat restoration and preservation, and ponders the new one of managing a system engaged in change.  http://environmentalcentury.net/2016/03/07/managing-of-our-diminished-biosphere/ ?