[GWSG] $ for solar, storage; PacRim coal mine; 2 coal fans; slow soil; tar sands treaty; G'land shedding weight

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Sep 23 07:07:49 EDT 2016

1.  The US Energy Department proposes to offer up to $107 million to develop solar technology.  The emphasis is on marketing and system integration.   http://energy.gov/eere/articles/energy-department-announces-107-million-innovative-projects-and-new-funding-advance  Additionally, it is offering $37 million in support for developing energy storage and conversion.  http://energy.gov/articles/department-energy-announces-16-new-projects-transform-energy-storage-and-conversion

2.  In a late attempt to make money off coal, PacRim is betting that the benefits of hosting a $700 million Alaskan coal mine can persuade the Tyanek Indians to compromise their land, that coal prices will rise, and that Asian nations (or other markets) will still find coal too cheap to resist.  The environmental impact statement is due from the Army Corps of Engineers next month.  http://grist.org/feature/coals-last-gamble-alaska/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sailthru-post-notifications&utm_source=notification&utm_term=u%28Coal%E2%80%99s%20Last%20Gamble:%20A%20choking%20industry%20bets%20on%20one%20more%20big%20score%29

3.  Australia and India are the two countries now pursuing major coal mine development.  Both are being pressured to desist-in part, by the dropping cost of renewable energy.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/22/galilee-basin-coal-must-be-left-in-ground-as-a-priority-new-report

4.   Absorption of C by soil is much slower than we had supposed.  Last week I quoted a story calling soil management the most attractive tool for carbon sequestration.  That is no longer the case, though I suppose sequestration by biochar is still viable and forestry still attractive.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/22/soil-carbon-storage-not-the-climate-change-fix-it-was-thought-research-finds

5.  Fifty US and Canadian Indian tribes have assigned a treaty to jointly oppose development of tar sands.  US tribes are appealing to congress to halt the Dakota pipeline.  http://worldwide-finance.net/news/commodities-futures-news/u-s-canada-aboriginal-tribes-type-alliance-to-cease-oil-pipelines

6.  Greenland is losing mass about 8% more rapidly than we had thought.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/09/21/greenland-may-be-losing-ice-even-faster-than-scientists-thought/?utm_term=.669d0c13b59a  ?