[GWSG] Facing the Surge; NOAA on slr; climate as destabilizer; $1/watt; Trump muzzles scientists; lost decade

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jan 26 06:24:26 EST 2017

1.  Diogo Freire sends word that his film Facing the Surge will run at the Cinema Verde Film Festival in Gainesville, FL's Hippodrome Cinema Sunday, Feb. 12, at 3.  I saw it and recommend its depiction of the sea level rise faced by everyone on the coast, and its support of the Citizens' Climate Lobby, working for effective action through a carbon tax.

2.   New NOAA sea level rise scenarios describe a worst-case rise of  2.5 meters (8.2 feet) by the century's end.  The projection has been in the works for a year.  https://phys.org/news/2017-01-scientists-bar-sea.html  Since April government representatives Margaret Davidson and John Pershing have publicly foreseen 2-3 meter rises by midcentury, so the NOAA figures are likely to increase-if, indeed, the Trump administration allows NOAA to continue to function.  If not, we shall look to England or Germany for our information.  Marshall Shephard relates in Forbes why the new NOAA figures are worth considering for what they imply about near-term sea level rise.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2017/01/25/3-reasons-you-need-to-pay-attention-to-a-new-report-on-sea-level-rise/#4b05a27a221e

3.  Several military authorities are warning that climate change will act as an accelerant to instability and lead to the mass migration of populations.  https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/24/climate-change-will-fuel-unimaginable-refugee-crisis-military-analysts-report/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

4.  In 2011, former Secretary of Energy Steven Chu set a target of $1 per watt for the construction of fixed-tilt utility scale photovoltaic systems as of 2020.  The target was part of the SunShot initiative.  The cost at that time was $4 per watt.  We have now achieved the $1 target, three years ahead of schedule.  https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Sunshot-1-Per-Watt-Solar-Cost-Goal-Mission-Accomplished-Years-Ahead-of-S?utm_source=Inside+Climate+News&utm_campaign=3445e5aed4-Clean_Economy_Wire12_10_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29c928ffb5-3445e5aed4-326454481

5.  Trump is seeking to bar government scientists from communicating with the public.  The ban applies to professional meetings and all other attempts to share information.  A Scientists March on Washington is in prospect.  http://climatenewsnetwork.net/trump-seeks-gag-us-scientists/

6.  If the pre-industrial temperature base is set back from 1850 to 1820 as a team of scientists recommend, we have already warmed 1.1C.  That essentially loses us a decade of time to act vigorously to avoid exceeding 1.5C of warming.  "It means we simply have no time to waste, and no room for error."  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jan/26/we-may-be-closer-than-we-thought-to-dangerous-climate-thresholds  ?