[GWSG] More on Ant. currents; Columbia slides; AMOC declining; China adding solar; India too

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Apr 25 09:04:24 EDT 2018

1. Business Insider furnishes further comment on the finding in Science Advances that ice sheets in the Antarctic are being destabilized by a change in ocean circulation. The result could be a sea level rise of ten to thirty feet by the end of this century.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/one-of-the-scariest-effects-of-climate-change-might-already-be-happening---and-itd-mean-our-projections-are-way-off/ar-AAwi3fj?ocid=spartandhp<https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/one-of-the-scariest-effects-of-climate-change-might-already-be-happening-%E2%80%94-and-itd-mean-our-projections-are-way-off/ar-AAwi3fj?ocid=spartandhp>

Here is the Science Advances open access article. http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/4/eaap9467 The Wikipedia article explaining a polynya is good equipment for reading the article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynya Meteoric water is that derived from precipitation.

One item of interest is that the article is based on moored instruments and profiling floats measuring water properties in three locations in the Antarctic continental shelf in 2014-15, along with earlier measurements in the Amundsen Sea. Perhaps now we know where NOAA's Margaret Davidson got her April 2016 statement to the insurance industry at the RIMS conference that we are due for two to three meters of sea level rise by midcentury. She said at the time that it would take about two more years for the research findings to reach the public.  https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/04/12/405089.htm

2. Alaska's Columbia Glacier shows how fast a glacier can break down once it is destabilized. https://qz.com/1257090/heres-how-fast-a-glacier-can-slip-into-the-sea-once-its-destabilized/

3. An author of the recent study on the slowing of the AMOC explains the findings and the implications in an interview. http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=21606

4. China installed almost ten gigawatts of solar energy in the first quarter of this year. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/24/china-installs-nearly-10-gigawatts-of-solar-in-first-quarter-up-22/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29

5. India was second only to China in solar installations last year. They intend to triple their solar capacity next year and increase it tenfold by 2022.  https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/24/india-beats-north-america-europe-japan-in-2017-solar-additions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29 ?