[GWSG] > 1t watts; solar price floor; hot soil microbes; 50 mya: hot!; nearing a danger point; C neutral concrete

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Aug 6 17:30:38 EDT 2018

1. Global solar and wind installations just passed a trillion watts. That is almost as much capacity as the entire US power fleet. The next trillion should come within about five years and cost half as much. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/green-energy-capacity-passes-a-trillion-watts?platform=hootsuite
[https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iIyChnKQ1lHc/i_XR1V6NPzr0/v0/1200x899.jpg]<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/green-energy-capacity-passes-a-trillion-watts?platform=hootsuite>

Green Energy Producers Just Installed Their First Trillion Watts<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/green-energy-capacity-passes-a-trillion-watts?platform=hootsuite>
www.bloomberg.com
The next trillion will cost $1.2 trillion by 2023, almost half of the price-tag for the first, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance

2. Solar prices have dropped 74% since 2009. They are expected to drop yet farther, but there will be a floor—say, down to about $14.70 per megawatt-hour in 2022 for large power purchase agreements. “There’s only so much in terms of margins that can be squeezed.” The average ppa is expected to be about $40 per megawatt-hour in 2022 or sooner, down from $60 currently.  https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/the-floor-for-ultra-low-solar-bids-14-per-megawatt-hour?utm_source=Solar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GTMSolar#gs.YNax0W0
[https://www.greentechmedia.com/assets/content/cache/made/content/images/articles/Big_Solar_Farm_XL_500_277_80.jpg]<https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/the-floor-for-ultra-low-solar-bids-14-per-megawatt-hour?utm_source=Solar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GTMSolar#gs.YNax0W0>

The Floor for Ultra-Low Solar Bids? $14 per Megawatt-Hour<https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/the-floor-for-ultra-low-solar-bids-14-per-megawatt-hour?utm_source=Solar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GTMSolar#gs.YNax0W0>
www.greentechmedia.com

3. Soil organisms are more vulnerable to heat and drought than we had thought. The organisms in turn control the type of vegetation supported.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180802102337.htm

4. After the end of the dinosaurs and as mammals rose, around 50 million years ago, the atmosphere had 1,000 ppm of CO2 and the earth was “almost unbelievably hot,” with tropical life at the poles and perhaps a dead zone around the equator. We do not know quite why it got so hot—perhaps through some unknown methane feedback. As the CO2 rises we need to beware. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/earths-scorching-hot-history/566762/
[https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2018/08/RTX14VBF/facebook.jpg?1533321998]<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/earths-scorching-hot-history/566762/>

Scientists Have Uncovered a Frightening Climate Change Precedent<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/earths-scorching-hot-history/566762/>
www.theatlantic.com
During the rise of mammals, Earth's temperatures spiked in a scary way that the planet may experience again soon.

5. The point of dangerous anthropogenic interference in the climate (the DAI point) will be reached when the climate passes beyond our control. An international team of scientists has warned in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that we are at risk from at least ten natural feedback processes which could lead to Hothouse Earth, a new climate state with 4-5C of warming and 10-60 meters of sea level rise. "Avoiding this scenario requires a redirection of human actions from exploitation to stewardship of the Earth system." We do not yet know the degree of risk we are running and need to asses that as soon as possible, taking measures as needed to cope with the dangers, including societal changes necessary to stabilize the climate. https://phys.org/news/2018-08-planet-hothouse-earth-state.html
[https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2018/1-earth.jpg]<https://phys.org/news/2018-08-planet-hothouse-earth-state.html>

Planet now at risk of heading toward 'hothouse Earth' state<https://phys.org/news/2018-08-planet-hothouse-earth-state.html>
phys.org
Keeping global warming to within 1.5-2 degrees C may be more difficult than previously assessed, according to researchers. An international team of scientists has published a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) showing that even if the carbon emission reductions called for in the Paris Agreement are met, there is a risk of Earth entering what the scientists call "Hothouse Earth" conditions.

6. The CarbonCure process, developed in Nova Scotia, produces carbon neutral concrete which sequesters CO2 in mineral form, making the concrete stronger so that less cement is necessary. The savings from the reduced concrete offset the cost of adding the CO2. Ninety plants in the US and Canada are using the process now. Concrete accounts for 7% of global carbon emissions. https://energi.news/innovation/carboncure-concrete-system-can-trap-co2-emissions-forever/
[https://energi.news/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CarbonCure-e1529098031771.jpg]<https://energi.news/innovation/carboncure-concrete-system-can-trap-co2-emissions-forever/>

CarbonCure concrete system can trap CO2 emissions forever<https://energi.news/innovation/carboncure-concrete-system-can-trap-co2-emissions-forever/>
energi.news
Nova Scotia-based CarbonCure has developed a new system for making concrete that takes captured CO2, injects it into concrete, and once it hardens, the carbon is turned into a mineral.

A CNN video adds some information. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/08/06/concrete-solution-for-climate/
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.cUJ3VVwhX%2f%2bzUaPfyataIA&pid=Api]<https://climatecrocks.com/2018/08/06/concrete-solution-for-climate/>

Concrete Solution for Climate?<https://climatecrocks.com/2018/08/06/concrete-solution-for-climate/>
climatecrocks.com