[GWSG] Make your bed; difficult transition; oily plots; foreseeing Thwaites; water shorter; Midwestern ag to suffer; COP 24 concludes

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Dec 15 17:26:30 EST 2018

1. Admiral McRaven, SEAL, delivered the commencement address at the U of Texas in 2014. It has become a classic. He was not thinking of the long difficulty of climate action, but he might have been. He recommends that if we want to change the world, we begin the day by making our bed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OoCaGsz94
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.xabxZgJp2urJqu8dchGiiAEsDh&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OoCaGsz94>

Inspiring: Change the World by Making Your Bed - by Admiral William McRaven<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OoCaGsz94>
www.youtube.com
University of Texas at Austin, 2014 Commencement Address, Admiral William H. McRaven Remarks by Naval Adm. William H. McRaven, BJ '77, ninth commander of U.S.Special Operations Command, Texas Exes Life Member, and Distinguished Alumnus. This retiring Admiral and Navy Seal trainer delivers one of the most inspiring and uplifting speeches you ...

2. Germany is committed to the transition to renewable energy, and has achieved 40% renewable energy supply, but its course is not easy. The resistance has in part been channeled by its own government. https://e360.yale.edu/features/carbon-crossroads-can-germany-revive-its-stalled-energy-transition
[https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/Getty_GermanyCoalWind_web.jpg]<https://e360.yale.edu/features/carbon-crossroads-can-germany-revive-its-stalled-energy-transition>

Carbon Crossroads: Can Germany Revive Its Stalled Energy Transition? - Yale E360<https://e360.yale.edu/features/carbon-crossroads-can-germany-revive-its-stalled-energy-transition>
e360.yale.edu
Northern Germany, from the Polish borderlands in the east to the Netherlands in the west, is the stronghold of Germany’s muscular onshore wind power industry. This is where the lion’s share of the country’s nearly 30,000 wind turbines are sited, a combined force equal to the power generation ...

3. Trump’s program to roll back auto fuel efficiency standards was prompted by the Koch brothers’ Marathon Petroleum refiners and the American Legislative Exchange Council, and backed by a Facebook campaign sponsored covertly by oil companies. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/climate/cafe-emissions-rollback-oil-industry.html
[https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/06/climate/00CLI-BIGOIL1/00CLI-BIGOIL1-facebookJumbo.jpg]<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/climate/cafe-emissions-rollback-oil-industry.html>

The Oil Industry’s Covert Campaign to Rewrite American Car Emissions Rules - The New York Times<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/climate/cafe-emissions-rollback-oil-industry.html>
www.nytimes.com
A spokesman for Koch Industries, the energy conglomerate led by Mr. Koch, said the company had “a long, consistent track record of opposing all forms of corporate welfare, including all ...

4. Nobody knows when Thwaites Glacier in the West Antarctic will crumble, but teams of scientists are trying to find out. https://www.wired.com/story/antarctica-thwaites-glacier-breaking-point/
[https://media.wired.com/photos/5bfde28414e956775aabf1c5/191:100/pass/WI010119_FF_Glaciers_02.jpg]<https://www.wired.com/story/antarctica-thwaites-glacier-breaking-point/>

The Race to Understand Antarctica’s Most Terrifying Glacier<https://www.wired.com/story/antarctica-thwaites-glacier-breaking-point/>
www.wired.com
Few places in Antarctica are more difficult to reach than Thwaites Glacier, a Florida-sized hunk of frozen water that meets the Amundsen Sea about 800 miles west of McMurdo. Until a decade ago ...

5.  In spite of increased rainfall, evaporation is leading to a general loss of fresh water, both from soil and from rivers. We must re-engineer our water systems. https://phys.org/news/2018-12-global.html
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.d%2fR9S9yd%2bF00cS6ZMgVNWA&pid=Api]<https://phys.org/news/2018-12-global.html>

The long dry: global water supplies are shrinking<https://phys.org/news/2018-12-global.html>
phys.org
A global study has found a paradox: our water supplies are shrinking at the same time as climate change is generating more intense rain. And the culprit is the drying of soils, say researchers, pointing to a world where drought-like conditions will become the new normal, especially in regions that are already dry.

6. As the US Midwest dries, its dependence on rain-fed corn and soybean production becomes less viable. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181212144625.htm
Climate change imperils Midwest ag production -- ScienceDaily<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181212144625.htm>
www.sciencedaily.com
A new study shows that Midwest agriculture is increasingly vulnerable to climate change because of the region's reliance on growing rain-fed crops. A new Cornell University-led study shows that ...

7. The 196 nations gathered in Katowice, Poland, at COP 24 have agreed on the rules for measuring climate emissions. It is the basis for controls sufficient to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement, though the specifics for limiting warming to “well below 2C” remain to be worked out.  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/cop24-nations-agree-global-climate-pact-rules-impasse-181215210139629.html
[https://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/Images/2018/12/15/177139fb91644449af101836bcef9155_18.jpg]<https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/cop24-nations-agree-global-climate-pact-rules-impasse-181215210139629.html>

COP24: Nations agree on global climate pact rules after impasse | News | Al Jazeera<https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/cop24-nations-agree-global-climate-pact-rules-impasse-181215210139629.html>
www.aljazeera.com
Nearly 200 nations overcame political divisions on Saturday to agree on rules for implementing a landmark global climate deal, but critics say it is not ambitious enough to prevent the dangerous ...