[GWSG] SLR in NE FL; extinction by crisis; winter highs and lows; Europe's general threats; climate refugees to increase; MIT's thermal resonator

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Feb 26 10:52:49 EST 2018

? 1. The Jacksonville Florida Times-Union's report on a symposium sums up the current and coming effects of sea level rise on NE FL. Much of what it reports will be news to most of the million people who live in the region. Still, most of us have at least heard of tidal flooding in areas previously secure, so the general effect will be to sketch in a picture we half suspected. While the Times-Union has taken strong editorial stands on the energy transition and the need for vulnerability planning, major media (and our local and state governments, for the most part) have up to this point ignored realistic assessments of the challenges posed by sea level rise. This story a milestone, perhaps one on the way to planning for the future of our community.  http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20180223/northeast-florida-scientists-agree-sea-level-rise-is-here-and-its-dangerous

2. Crossing thresholds of such climate-related stressors as heat, oxygen deprivation, and starvation can lead to mass mortality on a scale which threatens species survival. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/25/mass-mortality-events-animal-conservation-climate-change

3.  Temperatures are high now in the Arctic, high in the eastern US, and low in Europe and Eurasia. We can expect more of that in winters. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/02/26/arctic-melting-as-europe-freezes-where-who-predicted-this-oh-yeah-science/

4. In general, the greatest climate threats to Europe are heat waves, droughts, and floods. https://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/europes-cities-face-a-hotter-century?e=ea792e87f2

5. More than a million Americans were displaced last year by climate-related events. That is going to increase, and some of the displacement is predictable. We should be discussing how to assist people forced to relocate, and communities forced to dissolve. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/welcome-to-the-age-of-climate-migration-w516974

6. A thermal resonator developed at MIT generates electricity from temperature differences. The device promises to deliver small amounts of power to isolated locations and to augment power production in a wide range of applications, including solar panels. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/25/electricity-thin-air-thermal-resonator-mit-gets-job-done/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29 ?