[GWSG] Losing gamesters; Arctic methane growing; unlivable cities; Spain at 45.8%; indigenous conservators; Gen IV nuclear power status

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:41:06 EDT 2018

1. Trump and Putin are both working to hamper the transition to renewable energy. It's a losing game, and the sooner they lose the better. https://grist.org/article/trump-and-putin-are-clearly-in-cahoots-over-propping-up-fossil-fuels/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily

2. Melting permafrost in the Arctic is set to release more carbon than Arctic vegetation fixes in the growing season. The methane will increase heating, which will lead to further methane release in a positive feedback. Runaway warming does not seem to be in prospect, though. https://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/arctic-permafrost-set-for-faster-carbon-leak?e=ea792e87f2

3. India's summer heat waves are already causing illnesses and fatalities. Further increase this century could make them, along with cities elsewhere, unlivable. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/climate/india-heat-wave-summer.html?emc=edit_th_180718&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=436283740718

4. Spain generated 45.8% of its electricity renewably in the first half of 2018. https://www.pv-magazine.com/2018/07/12/spain-covers-45-8-of-first-half-electricity-demand-with-renewables/

5. More than a quarter of the earth's surface is controlled by indigenous peoples; two-thirds of that area is essentially natural. If we are to adopt a goal of rewilding a significant share of the earth's land surface for a healthy and diverse environment, we could begin by recognizing the role of indigenous peoples in conservation. https://news.mongabay.com/2018/07/indigenous-peoples-control-one-quarter-of-worlds-land-surface-two-thirds-of-that-land-is-essentially-natural/

6. Generation IV nuclear reactors are still on the horizon but will come too slowly to assist much in the transition from fossil fuels. https://grist.org/article/next-gen-nuclear-is-coming-if-we-want-it/

Of the six basic Gen IV designs, the molten salt reactor is considered the safest but is the least well developed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor  ?