[GWSG] WW Zero; Mulkey lecture; 5C by 2100; Pelosi steps up for us at COP 25; Greenland sheet cracking

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Dec 3 08:52:52 EST 2019

1. John Kerry has organized World War Zero, a group of prominent leaders who will conduct a program of town meetings beginning next month to raise awareness of the need for climate action. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/30/climate/john-kerry-climate-change.html?smid=tw-nytclimate&smtyp=cur

2. Stephen Mulkey has posted his final lecture to his U of FL course Global Change, Ecology, and Sustainability. It is a 25 minute encapsulation of the course, with the reflections and advice of an ecologist experienced in many roles of service and leadership. https://ufl.zoom.us/recording/play/uI19kXKKWO_8vosiDJBMI7x5ZWS-JqNEUVxWRvf3nQscE98Nba0TYrUuWlY9lnqw?continueMode=true

3. As delegates and attendees from over 190 countries gather in Madrid for COP 25, the World Meteorological Organization warns that we are headed for 5C of heat by 2100 on our current course. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/global-temperature-headed-toward-5-degree-increase-wmo-says/ar-BBXGy0g

4.  House speaker Nancy Pelosi delivered congress’s resolve to deal with the climate crisis in defiance of Donald Trump. She told the COP 25 conference that “Congress’s commitment to action on the climate crisis is iron-clad. This is a matter of public health, of clean air, of clean water, of our children, of the survival of our economies, of the prosperity of the world, of national security, justice and equality. We now must deliver deeper cuts in emissions.” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/02/congress-commits-to-take-action-on-climate-crisis

5. Drones equipped for Arctic conditions have made new observations of Greenland, detecting how the surface lakes of melt which form in the summer drain through cracks to the base of the sheet, lifting it and forming new cracks in a feedback which accelerate the breakup of the sheet. Greenland is losing about a billion tons a day, making it “the single largest contributor to global sea-level rise.” https://phys.org/news/2019-12-drone-images-greenland-ice-sheet.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

The Washington Post story on the new findings adds details from the scientists, comments on how the new findings contradict old models, and some impressive illustrations. https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/12/02/cracks-greenland-ice-sheet-are-producing-massive-waterfalls-raising-scientists-concerns-sea-level-rise/