[GWSG] Market vs. env.; info vs. market; seeing green; green action; green roofs; green plates

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:24:19 EDT 2019

1. In Europe as in the US claims to the right of corporations to preserve profits from fossil fuels have hampered climate action. https://the-beam.com/uncategorized/why-the-economic-game-still-outplays-the-environment/
[https://the-beam.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Economic1.jpeg]<https://the-beam.com/uncategorized/why-the-economic-game-still-outplays-the-environment/>
Why the economic game still outplays the environment – The Beam<https://the-beam.com/uncategorized/why-the-economic-game-still-outplays-the-environment/>
the-beam.com
At that time, French journalists were already making bets on how long it would take before he would resign. It took nine more months, on live radio, on the morning of August 2018 You could hear the emotion in Hulot’s voice.

2. The emerging power of shared information could act to disrupt corporate priorities.  https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/postcapitalism-end-of-capitalism-begun
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.c5a1vz0apyfgz2eJqEg%2fEg&pid=Api]<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/postcapitalism-end-of-capitalism-begun>
The end of capitalism has begun<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/postcapitalism-end-of-capitalism-begun>
www.theguardian.com
Without us noticing, we are entering the postcapitalist era. At the heart of further change to come is information technology, new ways of working and the sharing economy. The old ways will take a long while to disappear, but it’s time to be utopian

At question are the effects of a shift to an information economy, whether the effects would foster climate action, and, if they did, whether the actions could be taken in the little time we have left before our actions become futile. I suppose that if we became collectively convinced of the need to avert a climate catastrophe we could move quickly. I take hope in the possibility that pressures to preserve profits from the fossil fuel economy might weaken.
It is often observed that the climate crisis is a market failure. Indeed, it is the greatest failure imaginable, as it involves as an externalized cost the conditions under which the market exists. If you add to the greed and folly of those who blindly follow the market the beginningless anger of Donald Trump, Dick Cheney, and Fox News, you have a complete picture of the trap we have built for ourselves. We need to free ourselves. It is a matter of life and death. The way lies clear before us.

3.  Merely being able to see green spaces works to begin freeing us from our addictions. https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/seeing-nature-green-space-may-curb-unhealthy-cravings?utm_source=Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=491a17b504-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MON0715_2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fcbff2e256-491a17b504-41365477
[https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2019/07/woman_laptop_window_green_space.jpg.1080x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg]<https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/seeing-nature-green-space-may-curb-unhealthy-cravings?utm_source=Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=491a17b504-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MON0715_2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fcbff2e256-491a17b504-41365477>
Just seeing nature may curb unhealthy cravings | MNN - Mother Nature Network<https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/seeing-nature-green-space-may-curb-unhealthy-cravings?utm_source=Weekly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=491a17b504-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_MON0715_2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fcbff2e256-491a17b504-41365477>
www.mnn.com
There are so many benefits to being outside in nature. Something as simple as taking a stroll in the woods is good for your mental health, can help you sleep, relax your body and make you feel ...

4. Jane Goodall saw that the chimpanzees were in trouble because the people around them were in trouble. She began her TACARE philanthropic organization by asking a few people what they needed. Her Roots & Shoots program for young people began with twelve high school students and now includes 150,000 groups active in about 60 countries. The kids undertake to do something for themselves, something for others, and something for the environment. “I think that each day people must understand that their life is making a difference and they should start thinking about the consequences of the little choices they make.” https://www.dw.com/en/environmental-protection-the-biggest-problem-is-greed-says-conservationist-jane-goodall/a-49556942
[https://www.dw.com/image/17955280_304.jpg]<https://www.dw.com/en/environmental-protection-the-biggest-problem-is-greed-says-conservationist-jane-goodall/a-49556942>
′The biggest problem is greed′ says conservationist Jane Goodall | Environment| All topics from climate change to conservation | DW | 12.07.2019<https://www.dw.com/en/environmental-protection-the-biggest-problem-is-greed-says-conservationist-jane-goodall/a-49556942>
www.dw.com
A tireless advocate for conservation and one of the world's most prominent primatologists, Jane Goodall travels 300 days a year, explaining why it's important to protect our environment and wildlife.

5. 89% of people in the US would like to see the number of solar roofs expanded and 70% would support their being mandated on new homes, as they will be in California. https://www.fastcompany.com/90375536/what-most-americans-are-looking-for-in-a-new-home-solar-panels
[https://images.fastcompany.net/image/upload/w_1280,f_auto,q_auto,fl_lossy/wp-cms/uploads/2019/07/p-1-90375536-what-most-americans-are-looking-for-in-a-new-home-solar-panels.jpg]<https://www.fastcompany.com/90375536/what-most-americans-are-looking-for-in-a-new-home-solar-panels>
70% of Americans want a national rooftop solar mandate: poll<https://www.fastcompany.com/90375536/what-most-americans-are-looking-for-in-a-new-home-solar-panels>
www.fastcompany.com
After California passed first-of-its kind legislation mandating solar panels on all homes built starting in 2020, a new poll finds that people across the country want to see that policy go national.

6. A quarter of Americans 25-34 identify as vegan or vegetarian. https://worldin2019.economist.com/theyearofthevegan

A year ago, the number of vegans and vegetarians seemed constant. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/08/03/you-might-think-there-are-more-vegetarians-than-ever-youd-be-wrong/?utm_term=.85daeb320a7a
[https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/-9KyggU7qUJ4r88UrXLPWMe-I4M=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/MCCN6LEQIM5EXLE5JT4LRVR5SM.JPG]<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/08/03/you-might-think-there-are-more-vegetarians-than-ever-youd-be-wrong/?utm_term=.85daeb320a7a>
You might think there are more vegetarians than ever. You’d be wrong. - The Washington Post<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/08/03/you-might-think-there-are-more-vegetarians-than-ever-youd-be-wrong/?utm_term=.85daeb320a7a>
www.washingtonpost.com
The number of Americans who self-identify as vegetarian or vegan has remained steady over the past 20 years — and it’s still a pretty small group, according to a recent Gallup poll. Five ...

Since then we have learned that we must cut consumption of meat and dairy to deal with the climate crisis. https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/planetary-health-diet/
[https://www.wellandgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/GettyImages-woman-cutting-salad-Luxy-Images-1.jpg]<https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/planetary-health-diet/>
New "planetary health diet" aims to save Earth | Well+Good<https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/planetary-health-diet/>
www.wellandgood.com
When it comes to saving the planet, carrying around a metal straw in your pocket isn't going to cut it. Don't get me wrong, keep drinking from reusable water bottles and bringing your own tote bags