[GWSG] Solar kit; Nature tipping point article, w/Guardian and PhysOrg comments; climate anxiety; EU Parliament declare climate emergency

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Nov 28 09:03:18 EST 2019

1. BoxPower delivers a complete solar power kit in a shipping container, with a microgrid sufficient for four homes. Intended for emergency uses, it includes a fossil fuel generator for backup. I suppose that could be replaced by a grid connection in non-emergency use. Thanks to Cherrill Heaton for the story. https://www.fastcompany.com/90431566/this-single-shipping-container-can-start-powering-a-small-grid-in-less-than-a-day

2. The risk of passing a tipping point and the time we have left to avoid it determine whether we are in an emergency. We are in an emergency—rather, we are in several. Once we no longer have the time left to avoid a tipping point, “we have lost control.” This summary of pending catastrophes from Nature is a calm presentation of a serious set of pickles. Suggested for you by Ed Brock.  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03595-0

3. The Guardian’s commentary on the Nature essay above clarifies some of its points. We may have already passed the tipping point for a cascade of planetary changes which would leave the earth a hothouse. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/27/climate-emergency-world-may-have-crossed-tipping-points

4. PhysOrg interviews the Nature article’s authors. "A decade ago we identified a suite of potential tipping points in the Earth system, now we see evidence that over half of them have been activated," said lead author Professor Tim Lenton, director of the Global Systems Institute at the University of Exeter.

"The growing threat of rapid, irreversible changes means it is no longer responsible to wait and see. The situation is urgent and we need an emergency response."

Co-author Johan Rockström, director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, said: "It is not only human pressures on Earth that continue rising to unprecedented levels.

"It is also that as science advances, we must admit that we have underestimated the risks of unleashing irreversible changes, where the planet self-amplifies global warming.

"This is what we now start seeing, already at 1°C global warming.

"Scientifically, this provides strong evidence for declaring a state of planetary emergency, to unleash world action that accelerates the path towards a world that can continue evolving on a stable planet."   https://phys.org/news/2019-11-climate-scientists.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

5. Professionals give us some advice on dealing with climate anxiety. One tip is to take some action. Debbie Chang carries chopsticks in her purse to avoid single-use plastic utensils. https://phys.org/news/2019-11-climate-anxiety-churns-psychological-storm.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

6. The Parliament of the European Union has declared a climate emergency. Among other measures, it calls for the EU to commit to reducing emissions 55% by 2030 and to achieve carbon neutrality as soon as possible.  https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20191121IPR67110/the-european-parliament-declares-climate-emergency