[GWSG] Climate strike; in pics; on reflection; the crisis in 10 charts; FL exodus begins; Chomsky & Pollin on GND

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Sep 21 10:57:24 EDT 2019

1. Millions of young people worldwide turned out Sept. 20 to call for action on the climate crisis in the largest climate protest yet. Some older guys joined them. We were outnumbered but welcome, and enjoyed sharing their energy. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/21/across-the-globe-millions-join-biggest-climate-protest-ever

2. In New York, photographer Bryan Thomas asked marchers why they were marching and what scares them the most about climate change. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/21/the-climate-strike-in-portraits-the-signs-faces-and-reasons

3. Australian journalist Jeff Sparrow reflects on the demonstrations. “The ecological disaster that confronts us today extends way beyond climate. Some scientists speak of the ‘sixth extinction event’ – but, as Justin McBrien argued, that phrase isn’t accurate.

“We might less euphemistically discuss a ‘first extermination event’. Nature is not dying so much as being killed, by people who know perfectly well what they’re doing.

“The need for protests could not be more urgent – and, at last, they’re happening. The global strike provides a perfect antidote to the despair so many of us have felt for so long.” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/commentisfree/2019/sep/20/this-isnt-extinction-its-extermination-the-people-killing-nature-know-what-theyre-doing

4. The Guardian encapsulates the climate crisis in ten charts. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/20/the-climate-crisis-explained-in-10-charts

5. A serious analysis of the vulnerability of Florida to sea level rise would raise the possibility that within the coming decade we will be relocating populations from our barrier islands and the low land south of Lake Okeechobee. Bloomberg’s article America’s Great Climate Exodus is Starting in the Florida Keys twice quotes an opinion that it will happen before the end of the century. That is true, but excessively hedged. Still, the article is valuable for its sketch of current activity. What goes for Florida of course goes for other coastal areas. We will have to deal with emissions control—including not only a shift of our energy supply to renewables but a transformation of our diet to plant-based—while we are smack in the middle of an unplanned general population movement on a scale never before experienced except in war zones and during natural disasters. On the positive side, it is a chance for many millions of us to choose to live more sustainably. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/americas-great-climate-exodus-is-starting-in-the-florida-keys/ar-AAHA6Iw?ocid=spartandhp

6. Noam Chomsky and Robert Pollin say why the Green New Deal is our best shot at a future. Their book on the topic is due next spring. https://www.ecowatch.com/chomsky-pollin-climate-change-interview-2640451773.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1