[GWSG] 4 needful tasks; COP 26 delayed; new habits?; using the delay; attend to the oceans; restoring sealife

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Apr 3 08:13:12 EDT 2020

1. The Joint Research Center of the European Commission reports that limiting heating to 2C could be quickly and (relatively) cheaply accomplished by four moves: electrifying current fossil fuel applications; converting to renewable energy supplies; boosting energy efficiency; and implementing ways of integrating and storing green energy. https://phys.org/news/2020-03-scientists-key-actions-halt-global.html

It is good to be brought back to the primary task at hand, even while we are preoccupied with hiding from the virus.

2.  The UN climate talks scheduled for Glasgow this fall have been postponed until 2021. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/01/uk-likely-to-postpone-cop26-un-climate-talks-glasgow-coronavirus

3. The physical impact of the corona virus on climate is likely to be transitory, but we may be learning new habits and attitudes useful to the energy transition. https://phys.org/news/2020-04-coronavirus-impact-climate-agency.html

4. As COP 26 is delayed until 2021, we need to use the extra time well. A good use is to see that the Trump administration replaced by one which sees the problem. As we necessarily rebuild the economy we could fashion one not based on fossil fuels. The green new deal could become our blueprint.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/02/we-must-use-this-time-well-climate-experts-hopeful-after-cop26-delay-coronavirus

 5. Our future depends to a large degree on the health of our oceans. They need our attention in several ways. Consider, as an example and warning, the Blob.  https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/oceans-and-climate-change-2020-report-jeff-goodell-967980/

6. Efforts to preserve sealife are succeeding in many areas. A new study concludes that we could restore life in the oceans to health within a generation, though work on acidification and heating would need to continue. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/01/oceans-can-be-restored-to-former-glory-within-30-years-say-scientists