[GWSG] CBS snapshot; Ghost Species reflections; UK recovery advisory; ALEC's daddy; whose footprint is that?

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:16:37 EDT 2020

1.  CBS recaps the climate crisis, the current drop in CO2 emissions, and the chances that we are at a turning point. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/coronavirus-crisis-shows-urgency-of-reining-in-carbon-emissions/ar-BB132MYW?ocid=spartandhp

2. James Bradley describes his novel Ghost Species and how it is based in a reality under pressure from the climate crisis. If we are clearer about the world we are losing we could be readier for the changes needed to cope with the crisis. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/27/could-bringing-neanderthals-back-to-life-save-the-environment-the-idea-is-not-quite-science-fiction

3. The UK is advising an online meeting of 30 countries that climate action must be woven into plans for recovering from the covid-19 crisis. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52418624?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

4. The US hard right has been generally in opposition to climate action. The economist James Buchanan, who believed that people naturally seek to subjugate others to benefit themselves, has had great influence on policies which would make action difficult or even impossible. The policies are taking us toward a dictatorial oligarchy. An eye-opener of an article drawn from a forthcoming book. https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america?fbclid=IwAR0bCTdrOxcdpDqIIXiTAIjoHA4sSy-jUpFAJsMYQoY5MAa8i-QARdVkyi4

5. That we can bring down carbon emissions 5-8% by staying in our houses indicates that our personal activities don’t count for the bulk of emissions. The big percentages are in electricity generation. https://climatecrocks.com/2020/04/28/corona-crisis-reveals-we-need-systemic-not-just-individual-change/