[GWSG] H vs. Hype; on fire; but don't panic; mitigate & adapt; fusion dawning; wave and tidal power

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Dec 29 12:17:12 EST 2020

1. How should we distinguish between legitimate uses for hydrogen as a fuel and the hyped uses proposed by the fossil fuel industry? CleanTechnica attempts an answer. https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/23/latest-hydrogen-economy-round-is-hype-but-there-is-a-place-for-hydrogen/

2. This brief video may come to mind the next time you read about our need to continue using gas, or how we might counter sea level rise with sea walls and stilts. We need to deal with Trump and his 74 million supporters, and we need to control the virus, but they are distractions from the primary matter at hand. Trump and his followers are out to end our experiment in democracy, and the mindless virus will kill yet more of us, but the accumulated results of our use of fossil fuels could destroy our future.  https://climatecrocks.com/2020/12/26/video-pretend-its-not-really-happening/

3. The temptation to think that the future is already gone will only help that become a reality. We ought to be called to activity. Paralyzing despair is not warranted by the best we know. https://climatecrocks.com/2020/12/27/choose-your-rock-in-the-workshop-of-doom/

4.  Stephen Mulkey warns us not to be misled by false summits—goals and achievements which obscure what must be our true goals: to end and remedy our emission of greenhouse gasses, and to construct a network of societies suited to the new earth. “Mitigation and adaptation must become the primary work of humanity.”  https://environmentalcentury.net/2020/12/27/the-false-summit-of-climate-change-progress/

5.  Nuclear fusion as a power source shows new promise, but (as I read it) will be too expensive and, with a full-sized prototype not expected before the end of the decade, develop too late to play a significant role in the energy transition. It may be part of the mix eventually. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/28/nuclear-fusion-power-climate-crisis

6.  The Department of Energy has been developing technologies to exploit tidal and wave power in its program Powering the Blue Economy. Coastal and marine users would benefit directly, and because the power source and the user would be close, grid construction would be simplified. Applications include aquaculture, desalination, coastal resilience and disaster recovery, and (perhaps) kelp permaculture for carbon capture and sequestration are among the applications of the new power sources.  https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/28/clean-power-blue-economy-bonanza-plotted-for-atlantic-coast-states/