[GWSG] Coastal const. pics; bumblebees in decline; more rice, less N; Americans on climate; something to do; Polar Extremes

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun Feb 9 10:27:05 EST 2020

1. The Guardian has assembled a gallery of architectural responses to coastal flooding. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2020/feb/06/modern-ark-designs-for-the-new-climate-reality-in-pictures

2. Bumblebees are in rapid and widespread decline from rising heat and pesticides. https://www.ehn.org/bees-climate-change-2645035345.html

3. A joint Oxford-Chinese Academy of Sciences study found a genetic strategy to increase rice yield while decreasing nitrogen use. The alteration would support a transition to sustainable agriculture and amounts to a new green revolution, according to the research team.  https://phys.org/news/2020-02-green-revolution.html

4. A majority of Americans (56%) consider climate the most important issue we face, and 60% have acted to reduce their climate impact. 70% say they wish there were more they could do. https://phys.org/news/2020-02-majority-adults-climate-important-issue.html

5.  Some of the 70% may not yet have tried the planetary health diet. A plant-based diet contributes to building climate stability and reduces your stress and anxiety, too, while it improves your general health. Most of us get enthusiastic about the food. https://theconversation.com/how-a-plant-rich-diet-can-help-fight-climate-change-and-reduce-stress-118831

6. Polar Extremes, NOVA’s two-hour show on the geology of the climate crisis, is (in my experience) the best popular documentary putting our changing climate in the context of earth history. Dave Rogers recommends it, too. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/