[GWSG] UN climate report; large biomes faster; action now; oil price & climate; Honolulu sues; Oregon acts

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Mar 11 09:14:08 EDT 2020

1. In its annual climate report the UN documents the effects of rising heat in a warning that we have little time left to avoid the worst consequences of our use of fossil fuels. CBS and other mass outlets are covering the story.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/climate-report-warns-time-is-fast-running-out-to-avoid-worst/ar-BB110jJA?ocid=spartandhp

2. A study of 42 past ecosystem disruptions reveals that large biomes such as the Amazonian rain forest fail more quickly than smaller and simple systems. Quick remedial action is indicated. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/10/ecosystems-size-of-amazon-rainforest-can-collapse-within-decades

3. It is a mistake to believe that we have 8, or 10, or 12 years, or until 2050, to address the climate crisis. Still, “deadlines can focus efforts.” We need to couch our actions now in terms of their effect on the environment. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/10/deadline-save-world-climate-test-crisis-governments?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

4. The effects of the currently dropping price of oil on the climate crisis are mixed, but in the end “the transition to low carbon energy is not dependent on the price or availability of fossil fuels.” We are being driven by our growing knowledge of the effects of the climate crisis, including economic disruption.  https://phys.org/news/2020-03-oil-price-affect-green-energy.html

5. Honolulu is suing eight oil companies for the catastrophic effects of their business, though they knew “that their products were defective and dangerous and were and are causing and contributing to the nuisance complained of, and acted with conscious disregard for the probable dangerous consequences of their conduct’s and products’ foreseeable impact upon the rights of others, including the City and its residents.” Sea level rise is prominent among the noxious effects. 14 such cases by cities, counties, and the State of Rhode Island have been filed in the past two and a half years.  https://insideclimatenews.org/news/09032020/honolulu-flooding-climate-change-climate-lawsuits-oahu?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

6. Oregon Republican legislators have been hiding from climate action. They were preempted by the Governor, who issued a sweeping executive order which uses existing law to mandate emissions cuts, support for clean fuels, infrastructure for electric vehicles, and actions by utilities.   https://www.nrdc.org/experts/alex-jackson/oregon-gov-brown-issues-sweeping-climate-executive-orderh