[GWSG] EU's green virus plans; US plans; covid-19 lessons; stopgap climate actions; 2020 Drawdown Review

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Mar 28 09:33:49 EDT 2020

1. Leaders of the European Union states have called for a virus recovery plan which conforms to the goals of the Green Deal. https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/eu-leaders-back-green-transition-in-pandemic-recovery-plan/

2. You have probably already read that the Republicans killed a provision in our recovery plan which would have set emissions targets as a condition for subsidizing airlines, and that Trump is using covid-19 as a cover for an EPA attack on environmental regulations. He also insists that the half-trillion corporate relief fund is his to spend (or appropriate) as he will. Since such appalling mischief is what we have come to expect, rendering it not news, I do not usually cover similar stories in this news list, but the contrast with the EU is too stark to ignore. On the airlines and other failures and missed opportunities of the stimulus package: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/26/us-coronavirus-relief-package-airlines-fossil-fuel-companies-climate

On the suspension of environmental regulations: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/489753-epa-suspends-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

In his signing statement Trump declared his contempt for attempts to monitor his use of the half trillion dollar corporate relief fund. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/us/trump-signing-statement-coronavirus.html

3. Covid-19 has taught us that we are intimately connected with one another and with the world. We are acting out the consequences. The same perspective could guide our actions toward dealing with the climate crisis. A new kind of common life could emerge.  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/28/with-the-climate-crisis-and-coronavirus-bearing-down-on-us-the-age-of-disconnection-is-over

While we may learn some lessons from covid-19 which will be of use in climate action, we will also be hampered by some of our efforts and some of the effects of the virus. https://phys.org/news/2020-03-covid-climate.html

4. Another essay on the theme of lessons to be learned from covid-19 observes that if we do not make common cause around the globe against the disease, as against fossil fuels, we face unacceptable consequences. This is an opportunity for us to learn hard lessons. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-tackle-climate-crisis-and-poverty-with-zeal-of-covid-19-fight-scientists-urge

5. As we institute large and perhaps lengthy courses of climate action, stopgap measures might limit immediate harm. Salmon hatcheries and reflective aerosols are among the suggestions. https://phys.org/news/2020-03-framework-environmental-stopgap.html

 6. According to the 2020 Drawdown Review climate action could save us a lot of money. (Besides making the future more convenient.) The article links to a free download of the publication. The new Review greatly extends the 2017 original and is even more usefully organized, full of information and insights. I cannot think of any better way to spend a day while we wait for the virus to subside (if we’re lucky—may we all be lucky—and careful—take care).  https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/03/aggressive-action-to-address-climate-change-could-save-the-world-145-trillion/?utm_source=Weekly+News+from+Yale+Climate+Connections&utm_campaign=e69f758f0a-Weekly_Digest_of_March_23_27_2020&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e007cd04ee-e69f758f0a-59270721