[GWSG] EV market share; rising risk; C capture; N2O rising; Chase adopts Paris goals

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Oct 8 08:24:22 EDT 2020

1.  In September plug-in electric vehicles accounted for 15.6% of the German auto market, a four-fold increase over September 2019. Germany is Europe’s largest auto market and the third largest in the world. https://cleantechnica.com/2020/10/06/fossils-panic-september-in-germany-hits-record-15-6-ev-market-share/

2. U of MI business professor Andy Hoffman reports that in the insurance industry climate is no longer of interest just to the reinsurers. Last year actuaries named climate their number one concern. Even with a horizon of one year, property insurance is turning to the problem of climate risks, with great implications for consumers and businesses. It is when we face our risks, our vulnerability, that effective planning can begin. A 3.5 minute interview. https://climatecrocks.com/2020/10/06/andy-hoffman-insurance-response-to-climate-change/

3. A survey of carbon capture projects highlights CarbonCure, which would use the CO2 generated in concrete manufacture to reinforce the concrete, rendering the process carbon neutral. Unfortunately, carbon capture projects can be and have been used as pretexts to delay reducing the use of fossil fuels. We nevertheless need to develop practical technologies.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/07/carbon-capture-moonshot-moves-closer-as-billions-of-dollars-pour-in

4.  Nitrous oxide is the third most damaging greenhouse gas in terms of its current impact. Farming practices are causing it to rise more than expected, threatening climate goals. The EU’s Nitrate Directive, promoting efficient use of the fertilizer, has succeeded in cutting emissions 21% between 1990 and 2010. The policy could be used by other regions. China’s adipic acid plants also require regulation. (The acid is used in nylon production.)    https://insideclimatenews.org/news/07102020/nitrous-oxide-fertilizer-emissions-nature-study?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20201008&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

5. J. P. Morgan Chase, world’s largest funder of fossil fuels, has committed itself to promoting the goals of the Paris Agreement, including carbon neutrality by 2050. The commitment was in response to a campaign by the Sierra Club and 59 other activist groups. https://www.sierraclub.org/press-releases/2020/10/jpmorgan-chase-world-s-biggest-funder-fossil-fuels-commits-paris-aligned