[GWSG] Grid grease; Chinese cars; Wiki sweepers; Peru's farmers; Don't Look Up; who's not

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun Dec 26 12:12:38 EST 2021

1. A Scottish company has developed grid management software which directs traffic so well that it allows grid capacity to double (while integrating six times more solar power) with no new infrastructure. It is already deployed in the UK and New York State. The US National Renewable Energy Laboratory predicts that the Smarter Grid Solutions software will eventually allow a trebling of current grid capacity. Obviously, this means great savings on grid enhancement for the energy transition to electrical power for transportation, buildings, and industry.  https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/12/14/grid-software-solution-could-more-than-double-network-capacity-for-renewables-with-no-new-infrastructure/

2. Plug-in vehicles accounted for 19% of China’s November sales. The Wuling, a little four-seater, is the sales leader with almost 10% of the market; its typical buyer is a woman under 35. I hope that we will be able to increase our public transportation options to the point that our reliance on personal autos diminishes greatly. Meanwhile, we could use an American Wuling.   https://cleantechnica.com/2021/12/23/19-plugin-vehicle-share-in-chinese-auto-market/

3. The glory of Wikipedia is that anyone with a solid source of information can contribute to most (not all) of the 9 billion pages of the English version read each month. Some people, however, do not know when information is solid and when it is cheesy; others prefer theirs cheesy. Climate propagandists have been so busy writing and revising articles that it keeps a team of delousers busy ensuring that Wikipedia remains reliable. Contributions with a flimsy basis, and attempts to spin entries (for example, by inserting “alleged” before anything wished not so), get cut; writers who are persistent nuisances are barred from editing. This BBC article introduces a couple of the climate cleanup team leaders. https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-59452614

4. Traditional farmers in Peru keep supplying food in spite of flood, drought, hail, and heat. They do so by growing crops they have developed for resilience to destructive conditions. With hundreds of varieties of over 180 native species, Peru offers an especially rich repertoire for farmers. In the climate crisis the native farmers of the Andes are a world resource of knowledge and practice. https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/dec/25/a-seed-for-all-seasons-can-ancient-methods-future-proof-food-security-in-the-andes

5. Don’t Look Up, a satire now streaming on Netflix, makes good use of the metaphor of a looming comet for the climate crisis. It captures the absurdity of facing a great danger we seem bent on not doing anything about.

6. In three brief interview clips, journalist Emily Atkin will get you in the mood for Don’t Look Up as she describes a bit of the politics of climate denial. https://climatecrocks.com/2021/12/26/year-in-review-emily-atkin-on-climate-democracy-and-calling-bs/