[GWSG] Thwaites overview; a scientist looks up; Thunberg looks at US; Kerry gauges the moment; 15 biodiversity issues; Chomsky's overview

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Dec 31 09:58:03 EST 2021

1. The Thwaites Glacier ice shelf in the West Antarctic has been predicted to fall apart in the next 3 to 5 years. The consequences have been described variously in conflicting articles. The sea level rise will only be increased by a couple of feet this century; the sea level rise this century could run to meters higher. Thwaites and the glaciers behind it will enter the ocean toward the end of the millennium or in the near future. Jeff Goodell in the Rolling Stone explains the conflicts and supplies the basic information necessary to think about some of the contingencies and possibilities. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/doomsday-glacier-thwaites-antarctica-climate-crisis-1273841/#recipient_hashed=fe17c36079354ec46082a9a7c8fc19c8d3b811c991613e650512e53c322cb659

2. Climate scientist Peter Kalmus says why he liked “Don’t Look Up” and what he hopes the film will do for public awareness. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/climate-scientist-dont-look-up-madness

3. Greta Thunberg points to the disparity between US rhetoric and climate action. A full picture would include our leadership in the methane emissions reduction pledge and our work toward the energy transition, but she has a point. What would it take to persuade us to cease supporting the development of fossil fuels with subsidies, permits, and policies?  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/28/greta-thunberg-joe-biden-climate-crisis-fight-leader

4. John Kerry, who has been managing climate negotiations for the US, gives a sense of where we are and where the difficulties lie. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/12/30/kerry-glasgow-climate-emissions/

5. Ensia recounts 15 issues influencing biodiversity, for better and for worse. https://ensia.com/articles/conservation-biodiversity-2022/

6. Noam Chomsky in a 24-minute interview assesses our current political and environmental moment. At 93, he draws on his family’s experience of the depression for hope that social democracy, advocated most noticeably by young people, will overcome the pressures toward American protofascism and climate disaster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2QFrIflX00