[GWSG] Sustainable Iceland; assembly's aftereffects; signs of hope; just batteries; gigaturbine

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Jan 1 08:58:51 EST 2021

1. Iceland is running on geothermal energy. To achieve carbon neutrality it is growing much of its own food through such technologies as  innovative greenhouses, vertical farms, and aquaculture farms. It is exporting microalgae, eiderdown, epidermal growth factor, and other surprising things. A picture essay. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2020/dec/30/icelands-innovations-to-reach-net-zero-in-pictures

2. The primary product of the UK’s first citizens’ climate assembly was a report which already appears to be influencing government policy. The four weekends the citizens spent learning about climate also produced some life changes. Sue Peachey, now driving an electric car and serving on her parish council: “I’m no expert and I probably can’t remember half the things they told me [in the assembly], but all I know is climate change is real, it is going to happen and we all need to make changes to our lives.” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/31/its-awakened-me-uk-climate-assembly-participants-hail-a-life-changing-event

3. The director of Greenpeace UK sees signs of hope in the coming year. One is the promise of action from the incoming Biden administration. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/amid-2020s-gloom-reasons-hopeful-climate-2021

4. Berkeley’s Dan Kammen says that we should and will institute social justice in our battery supply. https://climatecrocks.com/2020/12/31/energy-year-in-review-dan-kammen-phd-on-battery-tech/

5.   GE has built a prototype of a gigantic new wind turbine meant for offshore installation. It is powerful enough to satisfy the needs of a small city. Thanks to Ed Brock for the story. Bigger can be cheaper; the maximum is not yet in sight. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/business/GE-wind-turbine.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage