[GWSG] 50% by 2030; saving the amazon; EVs cleaner; Mann interview; Kerry interview

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Mar 2 10:56:32 EST 2021

1. The UN warns that national commitments are nowhere near what we will need to achieve our emissions goals. The United States can help a lot by making commitments well within the necessary scope long before November’s COP 26 conference in Glasgow, Scotland. The US Special Envoy for Climate John Kerry has promised that we will do that before the climate summit on April 22. The emissions curve for China’s goal of carbon neutrality by 2060 reproduced in this article from a Cambridge analysis indicates that they intend to move much more swiftly than the relaxed date of 2060 suggests. The world needs a 50% emissions cut by 2030, though, and both China and the US need to be in the lead.  https://www.dw.com/en/un-red-alert-for-national-climate-goals/a-56713215

2. The best way to save the Amazon is probably to demarcate the boundaries of the indigenous peoples and let them manage the forest as they have learned to do. Protecting the Amazon, a 34 minute film from EarthXTV, explains with great photography and the voices of indigenous leaders and activists. The film links at the conclusion of the article. https://www.ecowatch.com/protecting-amazon-rainforest-2650808896.html?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2

3.  Over its lifetime an electric car produces about 30 kg of waste, about the size of a soccer ball. An internal combustion car produces many hundreds of times more waste and uses a stack of oil barrels 25 stories tall. Developments in electric vehicle technology are moving toward a circular use cycle. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/01/fossil-fuel-cars-make-hundreds-of-times-more-waste-than-electric-cars

4. In an interview Michael Mann warns against falling into doomism, discusses the current propaganda tactics of the fossil fuel industry, and praises Biden’s climate plans. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/27/climatologist-michael-e-mann-doomism-climate-crisis-interview

5. John Kerry assesses our situation as he prepares to join the international community in climate action. “I believe personally and very deeply that economics are going to take this over, and that if we do our work over the course of these next years with the rest of the world, no individual politician will be able to undo the reality, the new reality, that will be defined by the steps we take.” https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/john-kerry-climate-crisis-china-glasgow-1134293/