[GWSG] Seaspiracy; Thwaites unstable; cutting cement C; electric plane; idiot engineering; 30 gw of wind; 1 tw of wind

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Mar 30 08:17:41 EDT 2021

1. A major motive of climate action is to protect the health of the oceans and their life. Diet is a climate action tool, one of the ways all of us can be involved in shaping a livable world. Seaspiracy, just out from Netflix, is a documentary on the oceans which argues that a responsible diet cannot, under existing conditions, include commercially-sourced fish, whether farmed or wild-caught. While avoiding such fish will not benefit the climate directly, it will moderate the effects of the changing climate on biodiversity and on the atmosphere.    As we preserve regions of the oceans from human use, we must see to it that among the prohibited activities is commercial fishing. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14152756/

2. Gigantic channels have been mapped at the base of the West Antarctic’s Thwaites Glacier, which allow warm water to undermine it. The glacier’s stability is threatened. Melting in the Antarctic and Greenland is at the high end of projections.  https://www.explica.co/thwaites-glacier-melts-at-an-unexpected-rate-raising-sea-levels.html

3. Cement manufacture releases significant amounts of carbon—estimates range from 5% of global total emissions to the 10% mentioned in this article. A new process would support the circular production of cement, other construction materials, and hydrogen from seawater and the atmosphere using renewable energy.  https://phys.org/news/2021-03-carbon-capture-hydrogen-materials.html

4. Rolls-Royce, the second largest manufacturer of aircraft engines, will offer a 10-15 passenger electric aircraft in 2026. https://cleantechnica.com/2021/03/29/rolls-royce-tecnam-wideroe-to-deliver-an-all-electric-passenger-aircraft-in-2026/

5. We need to stop burning coal, oil, and gas. If we are too dumb to do that, we may be dumb enough to try blocking solar radiation. The National Academy of Science has released a report on that prospect. https://cleantechnica.com/2021/03/29/geoengineering-nas-recommends-really-dumb-idea-to-save-us-from-ourselves/

6. The Biden administration is moving to install 30,000 mw of offshore wind power by 2030, enough to power 10 million homes. The project is expected to generate 77,000 new jobs.  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/us/wind-power-ny-nj.html?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20210330&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20Daily

7. A Woods Mackenzie report anticipates almost a terawatt of new wind power by 2030. China will provide almost half the total, and an even larger amount of new solar power. https://www.reuters.com/article/global-windpower-int/global-wind-industry-could-install-almost-1-tw-of-new-capacity-by-2030-report-says-idUSKBN2BL19Y?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20210330&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20Daily