[GWSG] $ request; renewables up; please, Mr. Biden; IPCC scenarios; measuring CC; thrifty, healthy EVs

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:51:33 EDT 2022

1. The International Renewable Energy Agency has released a report saying that we are failing to make the transition to renewables, and need to invest $5.7 trillion yearly through the rest of the decade to get back on track. That would cut our emissions by 45% as of 2030, the necessary target to avoid catastrophe. Renewables are now passing 10% of electricity generated globally.  https://apnews.com/article/climate-business-france-europe-environment-e24216eb125c952127b88d23b490bc70

2. If the above sounds too daunting, consider that solar power grew 23% last year and wind 14%. We are indeed within range of our track for emissions reductions, and emissions should decrease as the fossil fuel industry folds. Of course, it will not fold without some struggle. We must be firm with it. https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/global-wind-solar-growth-track-meet-climate-targets-2022-03-30/?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220330&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

3. Peter Kalmus observes that now is not the time to support the fossil fuel industry, and pleads with President Biden to prioritize climate action. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/31/why-is-biden-boasting-about-drilling-for-oil-our-planet-demands-we-stop-now

4. The IPCC will soon be publishing the mitigation section of Assessment Report 6. It will include a range of scenarios. They may be mistaken as forecasts. They are not, and have no predictive intent. They instead model the likely outcome of varying conditions in an attempt to answer specific “what-if” questions. Those are not systematic, nor do the reports attempt to present a coherent picture of possibilities. For example, no conclusions should drawn concerning the failure to include scenarios which result in limiting heating to 1.5C. It simply was not a question asked by the researchers who are reflected in the report. The inclusion of nuclear power in a set of scenarios should not be taken as an endorsement of nuclear power.   https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-how-not-to-interpret-the-emissions-scenarios-in-the-ipcc-report?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220331&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

5. A new method of measuring general climate change cuts through the noise to detect change on shorter time scales. By the new measurements, climate change is neither slowing nor accelerating. https://phys.org/news/2022-03-faster-method-global-slowdown.html

6. The American Lung Association calculates that a switch to electric transportation will save trillions of dollars and improve the health of millions of people, in addition to its impact on greenhouse gas emissions. The conversion of heavy transportation is especially significant—6% of the fleet, but well over half of the ozone, NOx, and particulate emissions. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135466_report-us-policy-shift-to-evs-renewable-energy-health-costs?utm_source=GCR+-+Daily+Headlines&utm_campaign=0851aef00b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_03_31_04_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7e18d5fd93-0851aef00b-54646949