[GWSG] Sunken greenhouse; biocharred manure; Mulkey on the past year; cognitive biases; COP15 images

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:28:02 EST 2022

1. An Oglala Sioux experiment with a greenhouse sunk 8’ into the earth is intended to produce year-round vegetables protected from storms and excessive heat. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/03/south-dakota-reservation-food-desert-residents-transforming-crop-oasis

2. Adding a little biochar to dairy manure in the composting process cuts methane emissions from the compost by 84%. The composted manure-biochar is better fertilizer, and the biochar is stable enough to sequester carbon for as long as thousands of years, depending on microbes in the soil. (Land use emissions; emissions for feed, pasturage, processing, and transportation; health—sufficient reasons remain to do away with raising cattle. We still ought to be adding biochar to their manure even if they are protected in India or pets in Indiana.)  https://phys.org/news/2022-12-easy-dairy-farmers-climate-impact.html

3. The U of FL’s Stephen Mulkey is sharing a 48-minute YouTube year-end review of our state of affairs which he prepared for the students in his three climate courses this semester. We are privileged to watch this mapping of where we are and where we need to go from one of the most informed (and engaging) among us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkU_xyWApA

4. Stephen ends by pointing out that we are equipped by evolution with capacities and tendencies which will serve us well, as well as those which make us nuisances. The BBC carries on the discussion by pointing to cognitive biases which get in the way of climate action. Obviously, we ae not slaves to these; the truth can set us free to act, and we have tendencies which will support action. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190304-human-evolution-means-we-can-tackle-climate-change

5. COP 15 on biodiversity meets tomorrow through Dec. 19 in Montreal, Canada. “The current draft framework agreement promises nothing less than a ‘transformation in society’s relationship with biodiversity’.” Nature magazine gives us ten photos and sketches of some of the species and plans involved. https://www.nature.com/immersive/d41586-022-04182-6/index.html?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=d184358ab0-briefing-dy-20221206b&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-d184358ab0-47505448