[GWSG] SC vs. EPA; whose SC?; sunny thoughts; dark thoughts; new wind; our current power; new solar

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Jul 1 09:09:30 EDT 2022

1. The Guardian does the most efficient job I have seen of delineating in brief the issues in the Supreme Court ruling against the EPA’s regulation of carbon. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/30/us-supreme-court-ruling-restricts-federal-power-greenhouse-gas-emissions

2. The attempt to kneecap regulation goes back decades. https://grist.org/accountability/the-supreme-courts-climate-decision-came-out-of-a-decades-long-campaign-to-kneecap-regulation/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily

3. I have a few thoughts on the ruling. The big money interests uncommitted to the fossil fuel corporations now generally see a destabilized climate as a major threat to their profits, even in the short term. The energy transition is well underway, driven by market pressures as well as risk considerations. The friends left to the Republicans and their conservative majority after the women’s rights and guns rulings will be diminished by the climate ruling, with implications for the midterms and the Republican plans to implement minority rule. A new congress will be seated in January, perhaps ready for climate legislation and for dealing with the supreme court through augmentation or impeachment; both have happened before.

4. Peter Kalmus believes our best hope lies in civil disobedience to force climate action. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/30/us-supreme-court-epa-decision-devastating-humanity

5. We are on the verge of developing 6 GW of offshore wind power capacity in the US by 2029. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/01/wind-developers-plan-to-add-6-gigawatts-of-u-s-offshore-wind-capacity-through-2029/

6. The new 6 GW would be 2/3 of the current capacity of commercial gas—through new offshore wind alone. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=50818

7. 51 GW of new wind and battery power are planned for the US by 2023. That should replace a great deal of gasoline as we electrify transportation.  https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51518#:~:text=Power%20plant%20developers%20and%20operators,Preliminary%20Monthly%20Electric%20Generator%20Inventory.