[GWSG] CH4 article explained; trees not enough; democracy vital; barrier islands & SLR; difficult moves; US 28% renewable

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Jul 9 10:58:43 EDT 2022

1. Simon Redfern, coauthor of the Nanjing methane article in Nature Communications, explains the article in plain language. We must reduce our methane emissions however we can. The first move ought to be to lessen agricultural emissions by going on a plant-based diet. We must cease using commercial gas. Other measures will follow. https://phys.org/news/2022-07-methane-emissions-highs-pandemicfour-sensitive.html

2. We must cease emissions of greenhouse gases and pull down billions of tons of carbon from the atmosphere. Trees alone will not do the job. https://phys.org/news/2022-07-simply-trees-carbon-dioxide-air.html

3. Threats to our democracy are also threats to our ability to deal with the climate crisis. https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/07/democracy-and-climate-change/

4. All the beach communities on the east coast of Florida, and many others elsewhere, are built on barrier islands. It was assumed that barrier islands are rapidly destabilized by sea level rise. New modeling shows that the shifting geometry of the shore produces a lag between the rise and the destabilization. Good news for communities which will have more warning time. (The rising ground water level, though, will have immediate effects on drainage and infrastructure such as sewage, water supply, and buried power lines.)  https://phys.org/news/2022-07-coastline-barrier-island-retreat.html

5. As climate disruptions force people to relocate, poorer populations will find that it has become even harder to move. https://phys.org/news/2022-07-climate-areas-dangerous-harder.html

6. In April 28% of US grid energy came from renewables (wind, solar and hydroelectric). Wind and solar (19.6%) contributed more than nuclear (18%). When all carbon-neutral sources are combined, 46% of our grid energy released no greenhouse gasses. We’re getting better all the time. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2022/07/08/solar-wind-power-push-renewable-energy-record-level-us-april/10009400002/