[GWSG] Gore interview; oiled platform; $2.8b/day; Schumer sit-in; tipping electric; CO2 release rate

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:59:52 EDT 2022

1. Al Gore, experienced in government and in climate activism, believes that our problem with democracy is linked to our climate problem. A 14 minute interview on Meet the Press. Behind  him is earth in the balance.  https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/full-gore-u-s-must-look-to-its-broken-democracy-to-fix-climate-crisis-144657989534

2. The House Republican platform would address the climate crisis by increasing fossil fuel production and commercial methane exports. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/22/republican-party-climate-issue

3.  It is newly estimated that fossil fuel corporations have averaged $2.8 billion a day in profits for the past 50 years, manufacturing little but selling us lots of what has been beneath our feet. “They captured 1% of all the wealth in the world without doing anything for it.” What have they bought with all our money? Far too many politicians and judges, among other things; see items 1 and 2. Rev. Ed Brock provided this story. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/21/revealed-oil-sectors-staggering-profits-last-50-years

4. 17 people were arrested after a sit-in in Sen. Chuck Schumer’s office. Among them were 6 staffers. They were calling on Schumer to resume negotiations and pass climate legislation. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/25/chuck-schumer-sit-in-staffers-arrested

5.  BloombergNEF takes the position that the global tipping point to electric vehicles has been reached. Peak sales for internal combustion vehicles appears to have passed in 2017. We should expect to beat by several years Biden’s goal of half new sales going to electrics by 2030. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/25/bloomberg-declares-that-the-tipping-point-has-been-reached/

6. A study of volcanic eruptions and extinction events shows that the rate of CO2 release is key to the severity of the extinctions. "However, alarmingly our calculations also show that we are now currently emitting carbon dioxide 200 times faster than those supervolcanic eruptions that caused the most severe mass extinctions."  https://phys.org/news/2022-07-supervolcano-co2-emissions-key-climate.html