[GWSG] Heat map; Beans is How; Amazon tips?; thanks to beef; Monbiot's tantrum; COP 27, for better and worse

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun Nov 20 07:59:42 EST 2022

1. The Climate Impact Lab, a consortium of US universities, has supplied an interactive map showing projected changes in US and global heat levels for the rest of the century. https://impactlab.org/map/#usmeas=change-from-hist&usyear=2080-2099&gmeas=change-from-hist&gyear=2080-2099&tab=global

2. How do we tackle the climate, health, and economic challenges facing the planet? How can we accomplish the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals? How do we feed the 3 billion malnourished people? Beans is How. The mission of that name is an activity of the Sustainable Development Goals Advocacy Hub.  https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/11/15/make-beans-sexy-new-campaign-group-promoting-the-environmental-and-health-benefits-of-bean

3. About 18% of the Amazon’s rainforest is gone, and over ¾ of the rest is losing resilience. Rivers have gone so dry in some regions that water must be trucked in for household use. The new condition is likely to spread and persist throughout the Amazon. If the Amazon has passed its tipping point to a new, drier mode of being, and it may well have done that, the change will be permanent. The Amazon’s rich diversity of life will simplify and most of its people will leave it, for it will no longer support them. The climate crisis will intensify globally.    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2022/amazon-brazil-tipping-point/

4. About 80% of the deforestation of the Amazon has been in service to raising cattle in Brazil. The Wikipedia article describes the course and local effects of the deforestation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_of_the_Amazon_rainforest

5. My response to the loss of the Amazon, beyond grief, is to consider having a tantrum. George Monbiot had it for me, and he wasn’t even thinking about the Amazon.  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/18/leaders-climate-breakdown-fail-power-cop27

6. Monbiot was thinking of COP 27. The Conference did make headway on economic issues, supplying more support for climate action, especially among less developed nations. The 1.5C goal survived. The attempt to get agreement to “phase down all fossil fuels” failed, though, and the consensus leaves it possible to support commercial gas as a source of “low-emissions energy,” which is straight shuck. Tipping points are recognized for the first time, even as they begin to slide by. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2022/nov/19/cop27-fears-15c-target-danger-negotiations-overrun-live