[GWSG] Blocked ads; pocosin peatlands; opinion nudgers; 16 tipping points; etc.; solar trees

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Sep 9 12:53:59 EDT 2022

1. Haarlem is the world’s first city to ban advertising in public spaces for meat. Also banned are ads for internal combustion engine cars, fossil fuels, and vacation flights. “We can’t tell people there’s a climate crisis and encourage them to buy products that are part of the cause.”   https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/06/haarlem-netherlands-bans-meat-adverts-public-spaces-climate-crisis

2. Pocosin peatlands stretch along the coast from Virginia to Florida. They store carbon more efficiently than forests or grasslands. Over 1.7 million acres have been drained for farmland, and over 250,000 drained acres lie fallow. If they caught fire they would release carbon equivalent to 18% of US emissions that year. By blocking the drainage ditches we can restore the fallow wetlands and their carbon sequestration. https://phys.org/news/2022-09-rewetting-southern-peatlands-millions-tons.html

3. What most influences an increased awareness of the climate crisis? Seeing others experience the impacts is even more persuasive than personally experiencing them; being a Republican who listens to Fox News gets in the way of a change in awareness (of course). This Yale study gauges the impact of, say, being a woman or watching weather forecasts.   https://mailchi.mp/yale/video-gamers-want-more-content-about-global-warming-2622701?e=4dee1d8b35

4. A major study identifies sixteen key tipping points for the climate. At just over a degree of warming we may have crossed five of them. At 1.5C four of the five pass from possible to likely, and another five become possible. The last six require at least 2C of heat. The study concludes that we must limit heating to below 1C. “To maintain liveable conditions on Earth and enable stable societies, we must do everything possible to prevent crossing tipping points.” The study, published in Science, assessed over 200 previous studies of tipping points.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/08/world-on-brink-five-climate-tipping-points-study-finds

5. PhysOrg provides a more technical account of the Science tipping point study, with useful illustrations. Once a system has crossed a tipping point to a new equilibrium state, it becomes self-sustaining. Then it is quite difficult, even impossible, to halt the transformation. "Importantly, many tipping elements in the Earth system are interlinked, making cascading tipping points a serious additional concern. In fact, interactions can lower the critical temperature thresholds beyond which individual tipping elements begin destabilizing in the long-run."  https://phys.org/news/2022-09-multiple-climate-escalates-15c-global.html

6. London’s SolarBotanic Trees has launched a pilot which combines four-unit ev charging stations with 5kw of solar panels providing overhead shade. The power is stored and managed on site. The installations may or may not be connected to a grid. The company plans to begin marketing it to homes, businesses, and commercial car parks early next year. The company believes that it will become affordable when it is mass produced.  https://electrek.co/2022/09/06/solar-tree-ev-charging-stations/